Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bio Balls... am I crazy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bio Balls... am I crazy?
    Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:08pm
So I'm looking at my sump and I'm thinking about dumping in a bunch of bio balls.  Something that will break up the water flow to prevent bubbles, add surface area, etc.  

Am I crazy if I just dump in a couple gallons of bio balls into my sump?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:12pm
I was watching Tanked last night and saw that they added bioballs to a saltwater system and I was surprised. It may be because it was a fish only system
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:21pm

I would personally use some sort of ceramic bio media to achieve similar results, less space, and a massive increase in surface area.

I'm playing around with them and have some balls to seed other tanks/use less rock. I've seen a ton of tanks with only ceramic blocks and balls to recreate rock. It seems to have more surface area and once seeded the same critters can probably hang out in it. But there could be other factors making those tanks awsome.

My two cents.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:57pm
I know they're considered a little old school but I use this type all the time I really like it.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 7:03pm
Wait you think it's going to be whether you decide to use bio balls that will determine if you're crazy? Giggle. Good one Reefy.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 7:45pm
You're crazy.  I would never do it, but in this hobby, you can pretty much make anything work out if you want it to.  I've seen a lot of people bringing back scrubbers this last year.  
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 8:47pm
I use balls and LR and LS in all tanks and ponds. I also have a a bajillion extra balls (plastic, new) if you want I will trade a frag or two for a bag

Edited by CHAOS - June 01 2015 at 8:48pm
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:19am
I had a bunch in my hang on back refugium/sump.  They ended up being replaced with seachem matrix bio media, and rubble rock.  I got rid of bubbles by using a sponge to dampen the fall of water wherever it was droping into areas that created mixture/bubbles.
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:05am
I have been playing with the idea of using Matrix and/or Pond Matrix as a bio media. I will be putting it in a canister filter at first to see how affective it is. This will be on the 210. If I get good results I will try it in my frag tank sump. I would like to remove all rock and sand from the frag tank and frag tank sump.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:09am
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

You're crazy.  I would never do it, but in this hobby, you can pretty much make anything work out if you want it to.  

AMEN to this
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic