Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nate's 210g Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nateprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nateprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nate's 210g Tank
    Posted: June 02 2015 at 8:50pm
This is my first post on the forum and I debated starting out by introducing myself on the introduction section, but ended up going here first. I am new to the hobby and have a lot to learn, but I've done quite a bit of reading and think that I'm off to a pretty good start. Reading about other peoples tank builds has been really helpful to me so I wanted share what I've got so far.

The Tank and Sump

I read quite a bit about working with acrylic and ended up building the tank from acrylic sheets. The dimensions are 72"x30"x24"(width,height,depth) with 1" cell cast acrylic on the sides and 1/2" on the bottom. I put 4" of euro bracing on the front of the tank to make sure that it wouldn't bow out. Then I put a coast to coast external overflow on the back which prevents bowing out on the back and saves some space inside the tank. 

The sump is ~100 gallon with 48"x18"x24" with 1" cell cast acrylic on the sides and 1/2" on the bottom. This size of the tanks worked well for me since I was able to make the sump and the tank from two full sheets of 1" and 1 sheet of 1/2" acrylic with very little waste. 

Plumbing

I used beananimal style overflow plumbing (http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx) with three 1.5" standpipes to get the water from the top tank to the bottom one. I wish that I would have used a gate valve instead of a ball valve to adjust it, but it hasn't been too hard to get the flow right and it is very quiet. I put some unions in to make it easier to work on(after learning the hard way). 

I used a Iwaki MD55RLT Water Pump for the return pipe which runs ~1000GPH which is 5x the volume of the main tank. I hard plumbed most of the tank, but ended up using some small sections of 1" silicone tubing to dampen any sound from the vibration. The tubing coupled with a foam pad under the pump makes the pump run pretty quietly. 

This isn't really plumbing, but I currently have 2 hydor koralia powerheads to circulate the water in the main tank. I would like to get better flow in the future and think that the new gyre powerheads look really neat, but will need to study that out a bit more. 

Sump Design

I made a small box for the return flow of the water to initially go into which then overflows into a compartment with two filter socks. The water is forced through the filter socks into a largish refugeum area. The bottom of the refugeum has a layer of sand and fiji mud and I'm tryting to grow some macro algae with some success. I've got a 24" green algae led sump light from buildmyled that runs on an opposite schedule from the main tank. From there it goes through a bubble trap that I have also fitted my heaters into.I have a largish return area and plan on getting a skimmer at some point, but still need to figure that out.

Heating

I have heard about a lot of tank failures from problems with the heaters so I went with an approach of buying 4 of the most inexpensive 300 watt heaters I could get and connected then to a Ranco ETC-111000 controller so I didn't have to depend on the heaters internal thermostats. I had to waterproof the probe on the Ranco controller and do a little wiring, but it was pretty straight forward. I also bought an apex controller that among other things acts as a failsafe to turn off the heaters when it's too warm.

Lighting

I really wanted to reduce the operating cost of the tank so I went for led lighting and bought 3 buildmyled MC Series - 20000K Reef Spectrum lights on the tank. I like the color and look of them a lot and it has been fun playing with dimming the different channels. I was worried about getting enough light deep enough since the tank is 30" deep so I have two of the fixtues running at a 75 degree beam angle and the one in back is a 90 degree angle.

Stocking 

I've had the tank up and running since March and I currently have 4 blue/green chromis, a finamented wrasse, and a pajama cardinal fish. I'm planning on doing a mixed reef setup with peaceful fish, but have been taking it slow until I can build some confidence that I've figured things out.

Edited by nateprice - June 02 2015 at 9:24pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:14pm
Welcome

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:39pm
Welcome to the forum! Tank is looking great as well.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:12pm
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you at a meeting some time!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
nateprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nateprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:32pm
I'm planning on coming to the meeting on Thursday so hopefully I'll run into you. I wanted to come last month, but it didn't work out. 
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 11:01pm
Congrats with the new tank. It sounds like patience is your friend which is a great thing in this hobby. It's looking good, I'm looking forward to watching it come along.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic