Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High nitrates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High nitrates
    Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:01pm
What is the best way to control high nitrates. We just spent an hour checking all parameters, nitrates was the only one out of range. We run a skimmer in the sump, a phosphate reactor and carbon. HELP!!!
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:16pm
What's your water change schedule like? That's one sure fire way to get them down.

Edited by AcroNem - June 02 2015 at 10:18pm
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:48pm
It's a 65 gallon, we've been doing 15 gallons every 2 weeks.
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 10:52pm
How old is the tank? What size tank and sump? What is it stocked with fish wise? What is your feeding schedule and what do you feed? How often do you complete a water change and approximately how much do you change out? Water changes are the quickest way to bring nitrates down although there are several other ways that you can be proactive and remove as they become nitrate.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 11:00pm
65 gallon tank, 15 gallon sump, 3 year established 35 combined
with a 3 month cycled 65 in April. One clown, one coral beauty, one purple tang, one fairy wrasse, and 2 chromis. Several zoos, acans, Hammers and frog spawn. I have never done a complete water change. l
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 11:01pm
I feed once daily.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 11:03pm
What are the nitrates prior to the wc and after?

Edited by Reefer4Ever - June 02 2015 at 11:04pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 5:59am
It was late so I went to bed and didn't re test. They were at 80 ppm before the water change. I'll test again tonight. Is it bad to do another water change this evening f they're still high?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 6:32am
No its not bad and I would suggest it if it's still high or above 10ppm. You can also add in some macro algae which is not a fix all but it does use nitrate and phosphate out of the water column. There are several hobbyist using a bio denitrater which removes nitrates.   
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 6:42am
Just tested, it's about 40ppm now. I'll do a water change after work and check into a denitrater??
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 6:44am
Where do you get macro algae?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 6:48am
Just ask as there are alot of us that use it and give it away when we trim it back. Will you be at Game Night thursday? I will bring you some if you would like. You will need a light to put over your sump which most of us use the Home Depot clamp on light and a cfl bulb under 10 bucks. Let me know.

Dennis
text away
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 7:04am
If it's the green plants in the sump, I use 2 kinds, and have a light over it. I don't know if we'll make game might, we're trying to adjust our schedule to make it. I really appreciate all your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 7:14am
No problem. A couple more questions, do you use rodi water for top off and water changes? Somewhere along the way alot of extra nutrients are getting into your water. Over feeding is the most common followed by tap water. This is based on my experiences and not etched in stone.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 7:25am
The husband says we'll make it to game night, and could probably use more macro algae, we're willing to pay for more, I use r.o. for top off, and red sea for salt. We'll take some pics, and red you there Thursday night for sure. ;p

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 7:26am
I look forward to meeting you all.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 7:34am
Do you have a deep sand bed or filter socks?
slicks56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slicks56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 9:45am
Our sand bed in the tank is about an inch and a half in the tank and about 4 and a half in the sump. Yes we do use two socks in sump, as well, as two sponges. One on the overflow one in sump. plus filter floss between skimmer and return pump. To stop micro bubbles from getting in tank. Change socks every week, clean sponges every water change. change filter floss when we change phosphate and carbon 
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 10:04am
All of those socks floss and sponges could be a big part of your problem. Particulates caught in those medium start to break down in days and will produce nitrates as they do. I run filter socks in my sump but they get changed every 2-3 days to help prevent the particulates from breaking down. Any media that traps particulates in your system should be changed weekly at maximum. Any time longer than that and they are just producing nitrates and aren't very efficient at catching more debris.

You can also run your sump light 24/7 to increase the amount of nutrients your algae are removing from the system.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 10:05am
I too change filter socks every two to three days or I start seeing nitrates rise. Also, 4.5 inch sand bed in the sump can be a nitrate factory if it's not getting mixed up. (just ask reefdup)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic