Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh Salt Mag levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Salt Mag levels
    Posted: June 09 2015 at 10:49am
I tested the Magnesium levels on some Oceanic salt that was mixing for about 12 hours. The Mg level was around 1040 at salinity of 1.026. The Alk was around 9 dkh and I didn't check Ca.

Can someone please test their Oceanic salt and report the numbers? Iv'e always heard it should be around 1400 for oceanic. There is a possibility the Mag settles closer to the bottom and this was a newly opened bucket. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:03am
I've always had lower magnesium with Oceanic, so I supplement.  Calcium is always pretty high for me. But it's all I've ever used, and don't plan on switching :)
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:06am
I don't use Oceanic, but use Red Sea, and it does the same. I get in the habit of rolling my bucket a few times before I make saltwater (could be an issue). The salt will stratify and heavier minerals will sink to the bottom. Or the salt could be a bad batch. Does Oceanic publish that the Mg should be higher at 1.026? I have read that some hobbiest get crazy and put their salt in those can shakers used to mix paints at Home Depot/Lowes.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:15am
Can't comment on Oceanic. But I use Reef crystals and always stir the salt when I first get it to make sure everything is even. Mixing to 1.026 I usually get Mag levels of around 1350-1380 ish and calc of 450/460.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I don't use Oceanic, but use Red Sea, and it does the same. I get in the habit of rolling my bucket a few times before I make saltwater (could be an issue). The salt will stratify and heavier minerals will sink to the bottom. Or the salt could be a bad batch. Does Oceanic publish that the Mg should be higher at 1.026? I have read that some hobbiest get crazy and put their salt in those can shakers used to mix paints at Home Depot/Lowes.</span>

Great idea, I will try rolling my bucket around and mixing it up and retesting again this weekend before a water change. If the levels don't change I might consider changing salt as I do not want to add Mg every time I do a water change. Magnesium Chloride can get expensive for a 100g system.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 6:46am
Mg settles to the bottom of the bucket so roll the bucket of dry salt mix?! Confused Isn't that just a silly rumor perpetuated by uninformed new hobbyists?
The Mg is incorporated in salt crystals. It does not settle to the bottom simply because it is heavier than Cl, Ca, Na, etc.. If there was a need for stirring the dry mix to counteract setting in shipment, don't you think the manufacturers would say so on the label?
It's more likely that there is a variability in Mg testing.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 8:17am
Mark,

You can always be counted on to come in and say the opposite or attempt to be a ****. I assume you are retired and incredibly bored. You taunt people constantly and egg them on for more information or try to start debates. 

This hobby is built on people trying to help each other. I have read Randy Holmes discuss that mixing needs to happen and although I cannot personally verify that this is the case, he seems to be a highly qualified source. 

I don't understand how you state that you are here to help people, but when someone besides you give suggestions, you try and debate them. 

The suggestion was just a suggestion, read and passed down from other hobbyist. If its wrong, but something is working when they roll the bucks, who cares besides you? I think I have even heard you say that tanks/processes can be successful a million different ways. There are tons of massive systems that have little to no tech, and vice versa, that are successful. 

Marcos
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 9:12am

RedSea, says to roll the buckets or mix bucket to bucket. But it is not in the directions for use.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084966

I must add that I don't dry mix my salt. Should I start?

Edited by relethg - June 10 2015 at 9:54am
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:16am
Originally posted by relethg relethg wrote:

RedSea, says to roll the buckets or mix bucket to bucket. But it is not in the directions for use.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084966

I must add that I don't dry mix my salt. Should I start?

I appreciate you posting this link. I will definitely add the salt to the water more slowly now as well as roll the bucket around on new salt buckets. I am hoping the levels of Mag will go up on this next test.
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:26am

I have used Oceanic for 6 months and here are the numbers from last time I tested in March.

Mixed to 1.024 salinity.

Alk 9.5 DKH
Ca 470
Mag 1240

RedSea Pro test kit. I don't dry mix it yet.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 9:35pm
Wow I can feel the love there Marcos
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic