Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schmidtys 14 gallon biocube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidtys 14 gallon biocube
    Posted: June 18 2015 at 2:56pm
is this what I'm looking for?
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 2:18pm
The sand is quite a bit finer-- like sand. I believe Mark will show up to tell you about Utah Sand any minute now :)
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 3:20pm
Ya I saw a picture of it. I'm heading to lakeside to get some. I know right where to go. Hopefully Steve's LEDs will ship my light soon so I can get this thing cycling.
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 1:40pm
Well I got my sand and rocks today. Pretty fun drive in the jeep. Here is a picture of the sand. judging from the pictures I saw and its description I would say I got the right stuff. Here are the rocks I picked out. I tried to find the ones with the most holes. My question is should I let it sit in bleach to sterilize the sand and rock then rinse again to get rid of the chlorine?
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 7:28pm
WE now live in St.George and we had to buy sand and rocks.. it sucked! We use to live in Grantsville.. I loved that we could go get it for free. Although I love how white mine is. Congrats getting back in.

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 11:28am
Can't wait to see the progress! Be sure to keep us posted, I love nano tanks.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 1:01pm
Well today I got my sand and rock dried and started aquascaping. I grabbed to much sand and not enough rock. But here is how it sits till I can get some salt, ro water and some live water. It said my light has shipped so I'm excited to get that on. Probably end up taking the day after I get it off of work to install it.
Once I get my water I'll drip feed it so I don't stir up the sand too much. I think it should be looking good and hopefully growing algea by this time next week.
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 8:25pm
The lights are in. Well kinda. I was having a hard time figuring out the typhon controller well as it turns out the %99 complete kit is only if you don't order a controller. If you do you need to either make a wire to go to the controller which i do not have the skills for or buy 1 for $30 from stevesleds. So my order is in. Other then that i should be close to being up and ready for a cycle. Tomorrow i'm going to get some water from Aquatic Dreams. I got 2 more pieces of rock that are drying after a bleach and rinse.  They will be in the tank tomorrow.
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 10:35pm
Well I guess I should update what has been going on this last week.

I pulled a bone head move with my hood after getting my led setup installed and kind of functioning. The controller wouldn't work in the clock function. Channels 1 and 2 were in the negative on the minimum so every time it tried to dim it froze up. But if I controlled it by the set all channels menu it worked fine. So I emailed Steveleds about it. After I thought I'll check my perameters went to lift the hood forgetting that I hadn't put the hinge pins back in and it falls to the floor damaging an led on the light. Now I got no blues on my light. I still haven't heard anything From Steve's LEDs. So I ordered an AI Prime should be here next week sometime. I did get some halimeda and it seems to enjoy the natural light it is getting from the office window. Will post up more pictures when my light shows.
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 6:55pm
I got my aqua illuminations prime light today and it is amazing. I wish I would have went this route from the start. So easy to install and get setup. With tons more features.Wish I went this route from the beginning.

Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 8:06pm
Here is how its looking so far parameters are good. Its been running for a month and a half. Everything is happy. So far I have only lost 1 thing. I lost a clown that had an infection in his gills. Other then that. Everything has been smooth. 
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 9:20pm
Looking good!
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 7:34pm
1 year anniversary of this 14 gallon being setup.I've been battling phosphates for the last few months but all and all still in decent shape. Some crappy cell phone update pics.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 7:57am

Overall it looks good but I can see trouble in the works. Thanks for the good pics. They tell me exactly what it needs to look better, to eliminate the nuisance algae and to win the battle with PO4. You know I've been at this a long time and have helped 1000's of hobbyists. Would you like my advice?

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic