Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank @ 105 degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank @ 105 degrees
    Posted: July 07 2015 at 9:46am
woke up this morning to an overheated tank!!! 105! It looks like an apex failure.  The apex had crashed and lost control of the tank heater stuck on.  No email no text.  Lost everything.  

I pulled all dead out.  What should I do with the rock.  Dry out? try and keep alive?  

What to do next?  This might be my sign its time to move on from the hobby for a while.  
34G solana
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:16am
Oh man, I'm so sorry.   That stinks so bad. From someone who has had a tank crash, don't give up on it! If it were me, I think the live rock is ok and would leave it. If there's some die off from it, it'll cycle through.

When it gets going again, I'll give you some frags to get started because I know what it's like to loose it! When mine crashed, if it weren't for awesome other hobbyist who helped and replaced dead corals, it would have been a lot harder.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:24am
Woah, that is crazy. I'd try to keep the rock and sand alive.... I think. I'm not sure. Maybe I'd start over.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:31am
Erikts,

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate event!  I would do some water changes to bring the temperature down, remove anything else that dies, and just wait it out.  The tank will recover!  Behind every successful tank that I have seen, there have always been some struggles.  Don't be discouraged! 

Alex
210g Display in progress
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:33am
Sorry to hear, in the summer I turn my heaters off, seems like I'm always fighting to keep th temps down in the summer, even going so far as leaving the shades open to get indirect light and shortening the photo cycle, big water change and start the cycle over is what I've done in the past.let me know if you could use any help.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:37am
So sorry to hear! I don't have anything useful to share but can only imagine what you are going through. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 10:40am
Erik that sucks. As much as I love my Apex I never leave a single point of failure in my setup. My heaters all have a controller on them that is set to a few degrees above what my Apex is set to keep the temp at. That way if the Apex fails with the heater stuck on it will only heat up the tank a little and not boil it.

I hope you don't get out and find the fight to keep it going. Leave the rock and sand and remove anything else that died (fish and corals). I think the message is it's time to go for that high end coral tank!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:40am
Update.  I pulled the rock into a rubbermaid tote with a pump.  All dead is out.  Pulled what few coral pieces that were not dead or melted out and into another tank (only a few zoas).   Sand has been pulled and will be rinsed before reuse. 

Still not sure how the APEX failed.  I rebooted it and everything seems normal now.  

I have not fully decided if this is the end for me.  My wife might be done after this mess.  

FYI I already ordered a new heater with a built in controller for added security if I do restart.  
34G solana
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:48am
So a few APEX questions

Was the temp reading 105 on the APEX or did it read something else?

What size tank?  What wattage was the Heater?

Not sure why the Apex didn't turn off the Heater if it was stuck on.  If the temp probe failed you could add a secondary one as a backup.  For my heaters I have 2 - 200W for my 180, it doesn't work them so hard and if one failed and heated it would not be as devastating as an 800W heater. 

I separate heater controller will be good as well.  I would post this on Neptunes forum, they may be able to look at your code and see if there was something in there that kept it on.  Sorry about your loss. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 11:55am
His apex locked up and wasn't running anymore so it wasn't controlling anything. Erik was your heater outlet set to fallback ON? That would do this for sure. I also run two smaller heaters instead of one. They are both set at temps about 3 degrees higher than what the Apex code hold the temp at. That way I can tell not only if they get stuck on but if one fails and if the Apex locks or dies the system will still run correctly.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:18pm
The Apex was just frozen.  The outlet for my heater was set to fall back to off.. but.. the heater was ON.  

I am going to take a short break then jump back in.  I have an 8 gal nano running and I will keep it going and start picking up new coral as I find nice pieces.   I am going to do some work on the tank change some plumbing and such while its down then enjoy the summer and get back going.  Much too my wife's disappointment.  I think she gets tired of the parking lot coral rendezvous.   

Edited by Erikts - July 07 2015 at 12:19pm
34G solana
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 12:27pm
Parking lot rendezvous.... is there anything better?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 2:59pm
Heaters are of the devil!

Sorry about your problems.  
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2015 at 4:23pm
I agree with Shane. I don't use a heater and my tank usually gets down to 75 degrees every night. But I would much rather have it too cold then overheat.  In the winter I will use a 150w heater which if left on all the time would still never overheat my tank.  I run my temps 75-78 everyday.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 7:40pm
UPDATE:  

Nothing survived! 

Apex has been repaired.  Rock has been cycling in a rubbermaid.  Tank is now back up and starting to cycle.  Should be ready for life in a few weeks.  

Thanks for the help during the crisis.   

34G solana
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 9:57pm
How was the apex repaired
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 10:04pm
My firmware was corrupt. That is what caused the heater to stick on.
34G solana
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 11:44pm
Yikes! Sorry to hear it was a total loss!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
uteman58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uteman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 12:21pm
Firmware? that is BS in my opinion! 
FYI My default browser screen is Apex stats Shocked
Just i case.......and hope I notice.
Creating ocean puddles in an alkaline state.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 7:28am
Sorry nothing made it but glad to see your not out. I hope you weren't updating your firmware over wifi. They warn you about that for a reason. Hope it all goes smoother now.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic