Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the tricolor acro killing my birdsnest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the tricolor acro killing my birdsnest
    Posted: July 24 2015 at 7:21pm
Nice work.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 7:07pm
I was able to save half of the birds nest. Here's how it is now.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 10:13am
RTN doesn't "Spread" but whatever causes the RTN can cause the same thing to happen to other corals. Most cases of RTN are due to a pest, parameters, shock, stress or a combination of those. Solving the underlying cause (which it sounds like you did by moving the other coral) should prevent it from continuing.

Unfortunately I have found that birdsnest seams to be one that once it starts having a problem it takes most if not all of the colony out before it stops. Fragging off the healthy parts does help.

Obviously no guarantees in this hobby but it sounds like you are trying everything you can and if it's saveable that it will happen. Let us know how it goes.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 9:40am
I don't know if it is RTN, it may be. The receding originally started from where the tricolor was touching then it got to the bottom of the birdsnest and spread from there. If it is RTN, can it spread to the other corals in the tank?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 9:12am
If it's receding from the bottom and not the tip then it's most likely RTN and not that another coral is stinging it. RTN is very tricky and hard to stop. Fragging off branches above where the tissue is dieing and placing them somewhere else in the tan k can help but still is not a for sure cure. Chances are that most of that colony will not make it through the RTN. It's very hard to stop it once it starts.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 9:04am
Power heads were not moved. There is nothing nearby stinging it. The tissue on the branches was not receding from the tip, so my only choice is to cut all branches. I just gave it a dip and cut half the branches. Hopefully, I can atleast save some pieces. Cry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 8:50am
I would start looking for other corals around that could be the problem. If you moved the tri-color days ago and trimmed off the effected area on the birdsnest and it's still dying off I suspect there is another coral or pest that is causing the continued decline. Is there another coral near by that could be stinging it? Did you move power heads? Could something upstream be releasing chemical warfare and having it blow onto the birdsnest? When you trimmed the dead pieces did you cut them so that there was healthy tissue at the cut location? If you left some dead skeleton there could be a toxin left that will continue to cause a problem. Cut off the dead so that there is tissue on the end of the dead piece (if that makes sense).

A dip in revive or coral RX might help but without identifying the cause it may just continue once put back in.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 8:09am
It's not stopping. :( Would a dip help?
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 7:03pm
Moved it yesterday. Will clip off the damaged area.

Thanks
Indu
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 6:48pm
Clip off the damaged area before it gets to the main branch. That will usually stop it. It could just be areas that got stung but hadn't died yet. How long had it been since you moved the other coral?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 6:41pm
Yes, they were fighting and the damage isn't stopping even after I moved the tricolor. How do I stop this now?

Trying to post the picture again.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 6:34pm
I don't see a picture but if they started fighting one would show damage. Once you move one of them then the damage should stop.  if the damage continues then there is probably another reason that it is continuing. Pests, parameters, fish, crabs, etc...
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Indu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 6:27pm
The tricolor grew into the birdsnest and I moved the tricolor when I started seeing some warfare going. But, I saw some discoloration where it touched the birdsnest, and now it looks like it is spreading day by day and fast. Can a tricolor do this or can it be something else?

Here's a picture. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic