Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brass fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brass fitting
    Posted: July 08 2015 at 9:59pm
Brass fitting on sump poisoned our tank??? What to do?? Other then water changes. And of course not use the sump!!!

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 5:52am
Use Cuprisorb to remove the heavy metals from the water column. How long has it been running with the fitting in it? Chances are that your rock and sand have absorbed them as well and will take quite a while to leach them back into the water where they can be absorbed by media. Fish shouldn't care about the metals in the tank but coral and inverts will.

Get the fitting replaced with some pvc or abs fitting and you should be good to run it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 4:07pm
It's been 24 hours that it was in.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 4:37pm
I don't know much about this subject besides it being bad, but what makes you think it was the fitting that poisoned your tank?

Just curious. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 5:07pm
She had the brass fitting and they had used silicone with mold-resistant in it on the sump they built. So it could be either or both of those. They live in St. George and there aren't any local stores I don't think. I had her do a large water change get the fitting and sump made with that silicone removed and had her grab some carbon as I think that is all that is readily available around where she is:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 12:07am
It seems to be doing much much better . Thanks guys! Especially Jackie your awesome!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 6:58am
From LeRoy Headley, one of the pioneers of this hobby (www.garf.org), now deceased, came these 3 Rules of Thumb, relayed to us at a meeting we held at Hogle Zoo back in the late 90's:

#1  - No metal in a salt water aquarium or in the water lines feeding it.
#2  - Keep it wet.
#3  - Keep it salty.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 9:17pm
Guess we figured out the 1st one the hard way. Everything is fine now!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic