Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Public Relations Seat on Presidency.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Public Relations Seat on Presidency.
    Posted: July 22 2003 at 1:49am
I have an idea for the Presidency.  What if we nominated someone to attend events to promote marine aquariums.  For example, if a member of WMAS was to go to the Home Show with a nano-reef and some pictures of large reefs to attract others towards salt water aquariums.  If the goal is go to get more people to join WMAS, then shouldn't we have someone promoting it?  I am just brain storming here so I would appreciate some comments please.
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 6:32am

I've been going to the home shows for years and have wondered for the past 3 years why builders haven't put a tank in one of their homes.  After all they put in big home theater rooms for temporary display.  My bet is that after Finding Nemo, some builder will have a tank in his home at this years show.  But I think that is a great idea, tons of exposure that would generate a lot of interest in our club.  And it would be a perfect target audience.  The only downside may be the price of the booth.

Dave

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 6:54am

Dave, good piont about the price of the booth.  Maybe in the long run, it would increase our members enough that we wouldn't have to worry about it.  Or we could try to get LFS to pitch in some cash and we could refer members to them.  I'll bet that Kris @ Fish 4 U would help.  Maybe Brad and some of the others would want to be a part of it once another store did.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 7:02am

I've done a booth at a couple Home Shows.  One at a Home in Park City as well as one at the Main Complex deal when it was down in SLC a few years back.  If I remember correctly it wasn't too bad.  A couple hundred dollars.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:43pm
What is the clubs offical stand on proselyting for new members?
I realize that any organization's main function must be to exist continually. Existing continually requires money. Money comes from dues and fundraisers. Dues and fundraisers require members ...
Did I just answer my own questions?
How big is too big? Thoughts ....
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 5:09pm
I think booth prices have gone up. I think it's in the   $400-500 price range. I'm sure we could get a couple of sponsors to assist. I'd be interested in helping with this. It's definitely needs to be group effort though. One person holding up a booth for 3 days sucks. But if we broke it up into 2 to 4 hours shifts it would make it very bearable.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 6:02pm
I hope others comment on Shane's questions... I too, wonder.
Adam
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 6:27pm
Maybe the presidency could comment. (hint, hint... Adam, Jake and all others)

Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 9:20pm
What's wrong with going after new members. There is always going to be turn over in any organization. It's the new blood that keeps the synergy going. Just think how long our club would last if no one told anybody else about what we do. Not long.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 9:39pm
What are you guys saying? Are we to start proselytizing? Knocking on doors? Have I just joined a church?

Getting the word out is what is needed. Some people will have a desired to join, others not. I've got a couple friends with reefs and they don't really have any desire to participate... too busy I guess. But I would have joined 5 yrs ago if I would have known it existed. I'm not sure a $500 investment at a home show would be money well spent, but I could be wrong.

This club would explode if the local pet shops mentioned it to their customers. I've always frequented fish stores and not once was WMAS mentioned by a store employee. I've seen Mark Peterson walk up to a total stranger looking at some corals in a tank and ask them if they had a reef tank and if they had ever heard of WMAS (actually I've seen him do it more then once on different occasions). We need to be more like Mark.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 10:15pm

Who is going to volunteer to go to public events to promote the club?  Last elections we had to swindle people into accepting positions.  If we have people that are willing to give that much time to the club there are other things that need to be done (like a Sea Star editor/organizer).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 10:34pm
I was only using the home show as an example. There are things that could be done that don't take an entire weekend. For instance, what about somebody that kept contact with the stores that supported us to announce specials and events for those stores. Then our members would frequent the stores that supported us and more store would want to help support us. Then more stores would tell their customers about us. That is the best case senario but there are many way this could be done. I am just brain storming on the fly.

Jake, would the Sea Star help bring in new members and get our club's name out? I was not a member when the Sea Star was going so I don't know what is was like. You and I both know how little the club is known. Just from the amount of customers that came in and didn't know what we were talking about.

Jon, funny about the church thing. No one needs to wear a suit and a name tag and ride on a bike. I do believe that the approach that Mark used can work very effectively but I think it has to be done tactfully. If a store owner heard, they may get upset depending on their take on the club. I have heard of an example where Doug from Bird World overheard a conversation between a member and a non-member and kicked the member out of the store for good. Again, this is hear-say but I believe it could happen we are not careful.

GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 10:39pm

I've been involved with NPOs since I was 11 years old. Some more effectively managed than others, but overall the drive for money was only to improve the quality of the NPO and its services to its members. If money only comes from the members, then usually members leave as they are not getting their monies worth. More often monies were gained through fundraisers. From large ones (like banquets or a sports event) to smaller more localized (less publicized) like bake tables, or boothes. These fundraisers do require members, but mostly for getting the word out. I've participated in a large Run/Walk event organized by approx 20 people that have raised a few grand.

Also, members mean work. The more members, the more work. There always seemd to be a natural ebb and flow of how many members there were; due in large to the organization of the club. For example a small group of experienced dog handlers pick up a few members at a park. These new members have a good chance of being nurtured in the club. Now if that same experienced group had 30 new members gained from a dog show, there would be a huge difference in the ammount of work imposed on the professionals. (Probally a new place to meet, membership dues, logos, lectures, etc) The existing members formed the group to discuss dog issues, and share experiences. They want all members, new and old, to be involved and enjoy what the club has to offer. If that first small group is organized and manage the transition from a small group to a large group, then many people gain and there will be little loss. However, if managed poorly there may be bitter feelings had by both old and new to the detriment of the club. (I was in a sign language club that died of this)

So my point.....I love dissertations.....just kidding.....What is the purpose of the club? I think it was the dissemenation of information on marine aquaria with a group of individuals who enjoy one annothers company. (If this has changed please let me know!!!) It is the presidencies job to make sure that happens and as smoothly as possible, why...because they want to and it is fun. The maintenance of the club does take money (place to meet, copies, phone calls, etc.) therefore we have dues, raffles and fund raisers (GO REEF TOUR!!!!). In the year I've been involved with WMAS the membership has swelled to over 80. IMO the challange right now lies not in getting new members, but in maintining member expectations and helping those newbies into the fold (sorry for the reference Jon...I couldn't resist) Can improvements be made? You bet, and as a group we are trying new things, while sticking with things we know work (Monthly meetings, the BBQ! and the REEF TOUR!!)

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 8:42am

Well said GonZo.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 12:47pm
I want to touch on what Jake said before. The club to me, is going so well, and is so large, that it is overwhelming at times. If we had lots of volunteers who were really willing to devote that type of time and effort to our club..... wow we could do a lot. I mean just look at what gets done with one person (Suzy) doing the Tank of The Month, or one person (Courtney) doing the reef tour flyers, or one person (Kirk) running the library, or one person (Mark) handling the memberships, or one person (Steve) taking care of the meeting notes. Just amazing where one person makes such a difference. And, at the same time, we are always struggling to find people who really want to get involved.
I'm cautious to make some big moves for the next 3 months. So many other things, REEF TOUR, that we still need lots of help with.

I'm pleased to see these responses, this is a topic I much enjoy.

Adam
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

Who is going to volunteer to go to public events to promote the club?

I nominate Marcus! Since it was his idea and all...

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Jon, funny about the church thing. No one needs to wear a suit and a name tag and ride on a bike.

That's too bad... I was kinda liking the whole Elder Wrasse nametag idea... Don't know if too many people would open their doors to an "Elder Wrasse" though...

Edited by Ryan Willden
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 3:53pm
As the club grows the dynamics definately change. I tend to agree that it is every bit as important to maintain members as it is to get new members. As the number of people grow it will be easier for new members to get lost in the crowd.
The message board has been a huge step forward in promoting more casual exchanges between members. These types of exchanges are what will maintain the club numbers. Setting aside a portion of the monthly meeting strictly for socializing has also been good.

Edited by Shane H
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 6:58pm
Gonzo, I hadn't looked at it from that point of view. That makes a lot of sense.

Ryan Willden, I would love to get more involved. However, I am being convinced that the seat I suggested would not be the best idea at this time. I don't know if I should have written what I did about the riding a bike thing. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

So maybe a better question would be, how do we get our current members more involved? Any ideas, or have we decided that things are good for now?

Edited by Marcus
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 8:47pm

So maybe a better question would be, how do we get our current members more involved? Any ideas, or have we decided that things are good for now?

From my point of view this is an excellent question by Marcus. I hope that a few people will get excited for the Reef Tour, because honestly, there will be stuff to do.
Adam
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 8:58pm

Ryan Wilden, I would love to get more involved. However, I am being convinced that the seat I suggested would not be the best idea at this time. I don't know if I should have written what I did about the riding a bike thing. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Marcus, No offense taken. Actually, I was just being cynical in both of my comments. Clowing around too much I guess... Oh, and there's two L's in Willden... (Oops... There I go again... J/K)

Edited by Ryan Willden
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic