Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denise's Nuvo Fusion 20 Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denise's Nuvo Fusion 20 Build
    Posted: July 22 2015 at 6:42pm
You asked for it, @neurotivity!  Here's my build thread!  :)

Tank:   IM Nuvo Fusion 20
Lights: Radion XR30Pro  (3rd gen) w/ RMS tank mount
Circulation: Vortech MP10
Skimmer: Cad Lights PLS-50 Elite
Media Baskets:   IM upgraded custom caddy
ATO:   Tunze Nano Osmolator
Controller: Apex w/ WXM, PM2
Water: RO/DI using BRS Value Plus unit.  SLC municipal water 

Media: Filter Floss
Have been running ROX Carbon and GFO in IM media reactor.  Just switched to carbon
and Purigen (idea stolen from @neuro)

Coral: Various LPS / 'shrooms / zoas
Fish: 1 orange and 1 black tank raised clownfish.  Answer to Jeff and Emmett.  They live in my brain coral.  1 six line wrasse named Clark the Shark.

Edited by dmw913 - July 22 2015 at 8:16pm
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 7:48pm
That's gorgeous Denise, the black sand really make the corals pop with color. Nice tank congrats
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 8:11pm
Thanks so much, @reefer4ever!  The sand is CaribSea Hawaiian Black live sand - which interestingly, due to it's volcanic nature, will stick to your magnet cleaner so you have to be careful when scraping at the sand line.  I use the Tunze nano scraper which is working well so far and has a gap between the magnet and the glass so if I pick up an odd piece of sand, I can pick it out before scratching the heck out of my glass.  I also have a random wood chopstick thing from a wok (odd christmas gift) that is long enough to keep my hand out of the tank.  I use it daily to stir a small section of sand to kick up detritus and export it to keep the sand looking nice.

I have a coarse sponge from my old tank that I use to wipe down the back black section of acrylic about once per week so I don't get coralline on it.  I like the sharp contrasts.  

My nitrates have hovered between 3-5 (NYOS test kit) since initial build and the couple of SPS I have tried have failed miserably.  Tank started a visible downturn about 3 weeks ago as those nitrate levels rose even higher (for a brief period).  I have revamped my maintenance, changed out the skimmer and increased my water flow.  I am finally seeing a bit of a turnaround and things are looking happier which makes me happy!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 8:15am
Great looking tank! I am really wanting a tank like this now; you and neuro are going to push me to it!

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 9:28am
Update:  I have been running a new maintenance scheme for a week now.  It is based off of the information generously provided by @neurotivity.  

Changes are the following:

Daily small water changes.  @neuro changes 1600 ml with a DOS unit.  This is .42 gallons.  Prior to investing the money in the DOS, I have marked simply marked a container at a 1/2 gallon mark and have been changing 1/2 gallon per day.  

Added Purigen in one overflow.  Will add to second overflow today.  

Added Aquavitro Fuel.  2 ml every other day.  

Corals have shown marked improvement.  Chalice that was starting to recede has stopped and actually puffed up like it was happy.  

Of interest, nitrate levels don't appear to have significantly dropped yet the tank appears to be much "happier," i.e. corals are showing increased polyp extension, etc.  

I'm going to give the water changes another week but if I continue to see improvement, I will likely get the DOS and set up AWC schedule.

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 2:37pm
Looks great!! I too cannot wait for the grow out on this tank.
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 6:05pm
Thanks, @ptronsp!  I see you're in St. George.  My folks live down there.  Where do you get your corals?
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 5:18pm
Of note: Just figured out due to errant mushroom frag that my media racks were letting water get past them and thereby missing the filter floss. I wedged a piece of tubing behind the rack to force it forward. I'll report if there's any measurable difference. The piece of 'shroom went straight past the filter floss, bypassed skimmer and back out the return pump into the main tank again. This can't be good under any circumstances if water is missing contact time with filter media like that. 
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 9:46pm
August Update: The improved maintenance plan continues. I have added a Neptune DOS and am now changing .75 gallons of water per day over a two hour period. I am lucky enough to have my tank up against the wall of a bathroom so I ran two small lines into the bath - one runs to a 6 gallon container of fresh saltwater and the other line runs to the toilet bowl to dispose of the waste water - just ran the line under the seat. Smilie The DOS was easy to set up and seems to be running well so far (4 days into the process). However, important note on the DOS: IT IS HUGELY HUGELY NOISY!!! I have it run while I'm away from the house because it's really annoying. Husband heard it and was not pleased. 

Unhooked reactor and made custom filter bags with nylons/carbon/GFO. Running one of those bags in each overflow mid-section and then a bag of Purigen in the bottom section of the caddy. Pushing the caddys forward has made a big difference in catching the maximum amount of detritus in the filter floss which is still changed daily.

Corals have all shown marked improvement. LPS are eating well and fully inflated. Zoas and shrooms seem happy and I found a baby shroom in a totally different part of the tank from where the parent lives which is always fun and exciting. 

I have also removed probably about 2 cups of sand from around the front areas of the tank a little bit at a time. There is still plenty to make a nice base but less depth to hide detritus. I stir sand areas daily and blow off rocks with small baster. Now that the floss is working better, I'm noticing a reduction in the total amount of detritus when I do this cleaning. Nitrates are slowly lowering.

I think that's about all for now. Smilie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic