Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tanuki's RSM 500-S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tanuki's RSM 500-S
    Posted: July 23 2015 at 2:26pm

It looks like my old thread was too old and has gone away.

In Feb of 2013 I set this tank up and ran it for about 6 months before moving from South Jordan back to my home state of Oregon. The tank was taken down, cleaned up, and stored for the past two years.

In April I finally bought a home, so now I am getting the tank going again! So far the only MAJOR issue I am having is that the skimmer pump isn't working. It is weird because it used to work fine and really has only been run for 6 months! So I guess I will just have to buy a new Skimmer. I am looking to do either a Vertex 180i or Reef Octopus Regal 200. If any of you have experience with either, please let me know. Also, if anyone can think of something simple that may bring my old skimmer pump back to life, I would prefer that.

The tank is pretty stock, but I have changed a few things:
Vortech MP-40
Big Chiller (I forget which, I need to take photos)
Big UV Sterilizer (also forget the name/ brand)
I also did a hard line for the return pump. I will post some photos of those bits when I am home again.

Here are a few pics from when I first had it running:

Here is the tank as it sits:

The new skimmer came yesterday, so I took it on as my project Saturday. 

I forget the footprint dimensions, but it was supposed to be able to fit in my sump. I quickly found out it was about a quarter inch too big. I ended up cracking one of the baffles, so I decided it was time to operate.

After a bit of McGuivering, I knocked out the baffle and was back in business.

I am still playing with the settings and break in, but this seems like a really high quality skimmer. It had better be for the price lol.

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
dmw913 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmw913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 3:28pm
That white stand and tank accents looks fantastic!  Looks like a very nice setup!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 4:17pm
Love your tank! Very nice
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 11:56pm
Thanks guys.  I am mostly happy it survived the move!

I even had professional (soccer players) help moving it in lol.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 11:21am
Love this setup!

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 2:35am
This is absolutely one of my favorite designs for sure!
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 8:33am
Aquascape looks greats. What kind of rock did you use ?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 8:40pm

Thank you! This is florida rock.  I forget the exact name.  I had it in my old tank though.  Started dry, then it dried out again in buckets the last two years.  Now it is back in action.  So far the tank is doing very well considering I started all dry this time. 

sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 9:03pm
Starting dry is the way to go. Takes more time but less hitchhikers.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:39am
I really prefer starting dry.  If you have patience you will have a much cleaner clear tank with less intruders and questions.  It may be placebo in some aspects, but I feel like the two times I started dry have been much better experiences than when I bought live rock, water, sand etc. 
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 11:44am
I agree, i started my first tank dry, and I think in the future I would continue the trend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic