Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CopperBand Butterfly Attacked?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CopperBand Butterfly Attacked?
    Posted: July 30 2015 at 5:59pm

The tank is new to me but a few years old from the guy I got it from.  As well as his livestock and sand and rock, 1 bucket of sand was new and rinsed.  So we have had this fish for a week.  When we first put him in the Kole tang had to show him who ran the tank, after a few minutes they settled down and things seemed fine.  He swam very actively and always picked at the rocks, I feed 2xs a week and just tested my levels (fed yesterday).  Today I got home and he seemed stuck behind a rock, after re-situating him he tries to swim but goes kinda loopy.  He's dying and I'm not sure theres any chance.  After looking at him, he seems to be bleeding internally by him tail fin...Was he attacked?  We have 2 anemones, maybe they got ahold of him??

Temp 79F
Salinity 1.025 SG
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-10
Ph 8.5
Alk 8.3 KH

Phosphate 0ish

I tested K, and Fe, and I last night but they were close to "OK" as the test said. but these are for corals. just an FYI

Edited by becken - July 31 2015 at 7:21am
75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 6:01pm
it wont let me attached the picture I uploaded!!!  I hate windows...
75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 9:50pm
There is very slim, to almost no chance of survival.  Stress from the move, or from other fish are certainly strong possibilities.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 10:04pm
Sorry to hear. I don't know about fish husbandry, at least, to that extent. But would feeding it a tiny bit more give it a little strength to maybe help fight whatever he could have off?
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2015 at 11:25pm
That's an excellent point Marcoss. In fact, I usually feed the fish more for a few days prior to and after introducing a new fish just to help the old residents know that this new fish is not going to be too much of an encroachment on their territory. Aggression is mostly about perceived availability of food. Oh, and I use the MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment to help. (See the Reefkeeping Tip about adding new fish.)

Like Adam said, we never really know what that fish had to go through to get into our tank. I often see fish that seemed to have been doomed before they reached my tank. Sadly, Cyanide is still used to capture marine ornamentals. They die anywhere from a few days to a few months after entering our care and at that point there is nothing we can do about it. Cry

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 30 2015 at 11:29pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
becken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 9:45am
Pics added finally, he died shortly after posting.  I noticed little red spots all over him toward his face too.  I know the fish go through hell to get to my happy little square box but I have had lots of luck with buying fish from Bird World and the Aquarium.  He came from the Aquarium.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2015 at 9:52am
Unfortunately, Copperband Butterflies have a pretty poor track record in tanks.  That could be from the way they are collected and handled, the fact they are just a more delicate fish, or getting picked on by rambunctious fish, Like Tangs, once they enter our tank.  Getting them to eat what we feed them is also sometimes an issue.

I tried several times to get a Copperband Butterfly as they are one of my favorite fish and never had any luck keeping them longer than a month or so.

They are a fish I don't see that often in other people's tanks when I've been on our reef tour.  Oddly though, I saw one in almost every tank on the Idaho Reef Tour last time I went.  Maybe they know a secret they haven't shared with us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic