Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

experimental tanks for Utah sand and rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 5:57pm

Jon stated, "All I'm interested in now is how Mark's tank progresses from here..."
I'm starting to feel the pressure.  I try lots of things, but most of the time I only bring up the stuff that works.  Don't forget that my friend Chad and my brother Rodney's tanks have been working with Utah rock and sand since early Spring 2002.

Just to show that I'm not completely blind to, or trying to hide the facts....The clam died. It looked great before I went on a 7 day vacation, but after weeks of low light and no feeding because of trying to eradicate flatworms, it and also the remaining Green Chromis are gone. Though the unsuccessful treatment of Salifert's Flatworm Exit about five or six weeks ago, weakened the clam and Chromis more than others, I believe the recent lack of attention led to their demise. I cannot say that it wasn't due to the rock and sand, but everything else is doing just fine.

On the bright side, I saw only two flatworms in a corner on the glass the day I returned, but they too are now gone. None have been visible for more than a week as of this writing, so I am claiming success.

The treatment for these flatworms, in my experience, is to get some predators like the Yellow Tailed Blue Damsel, and/or the Mandarinfish, reduce the feeding and turn off most of the lights. I don't have the formula for how much or how long, but in my case I watched and waited. The Damsels and Green Mandarinfish had full bellies all through the course. If the rest of the tank started looking too hungry or in need of light, I would add a little/turn on the lights for a day or two. I'd say it took about three weeks of this, but haleluyah, now I can give frags away without cursing the recipient with the dreaded flatworm!

I promised Mike Dawson a frag or two and Carlos Gurr wanted some Green Star Polyps that are spreading fast across the back glass. There is one of the Jones' purple plate coral I will give away for $10 and a large specimin (5 inches) of extinct Palau Green Nepthia for $5. The red grape algae has grown back. I give these sprigs away for free. Also there are three frags of yellow polyps, two small ones for free and one large for $5. I give away pieces of photosynthetic sponge which every tank needs. Oh and there is a rock with Woods Polyps, Finger Leather and pink Sponge that I'll let go for $10.

Does anyone need a free, unopened bottle of Greenex?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 7:01pm

I didn't go back and look at the post but it said something like, do we know if these things we are trying (the rock and sand) are going to kill animals and that it may be better to stick with the tried and true methods.

If my comment about it was slanderous toward scroll or whomever wrote it, I apologize. I guess what I meant was that I am always trying those things that work to benefit our little reefs and the inhabitants.

In the process of keeping multiple tanks in my home over 10 years, I've sadly lost my share of organisms. I learn how to keep some alive, and with others, I am unsuccessful (Seahorses for example). But my opinion is: how else will we develop methods to successfully keep these animals if we don't try and then share our findings.

Keeping coral alive in captivity at one time was futile. Today we can grow and propagate them. Many mistakes were made along the way, but with that developed ability scientists are now growing those same coral to find new pharmaceutical products. To me that's fantastic and it reminds me of the fun meeting in 1996 when pioneer coral farmer Leroy Headlee (www.garf.org) visited the WMAS and drew a picture on the chalkboard under the heading: "How to propagate a Mushroom Leather Coral."

We've come a long way since then. (The VHS tape of that meeting is in the WMAS Library, by the way.)

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 7:42pm
Quote: Originally posted by tomason on 22 July 2003
At this point, the whole debate has reached a stalemate which wouldn't be helped by this experiment.  It's a fact that some aragonite rock has bad stuff in it, specifically copper.  Some one got a piece with some in it.  It's also a fact that there are hundreds of pounds of aragonite in healthy aquariums throughout the area.  The debate seems to just be whether people are willing to risk it.  Some say yes, some say no.  Because that's just a matter of opinion, there's no experiment which will help either side.

Now that's just my take on the debate.  I don't recall hearing (or reading) anyone say aragonite is BETTER, nor do I recall anyone saying that aragonite WON'T work.  It just seems to be a matter of risk, which is a matter of personal opinion.

Like I said at the beginning though, I think this would be a fun "experiment" for curiosity's sake.  It'd be interesting to see them side-by-side to fully appreciate the differences.

-Tom

Well said. That's what I was trying to say. I'm not saying that the debate is a bad idea if it is kept under control. My concern is that new members, or "visitors" to this board may become overwhelmed by the Oolitic/Aragonite debate. I'm referring more to some of the personal "comments" that have come up regarding the issue than anything.

Personally, I have a bit of both of these items in my tank, primarily used as a filler for my imported live rock, and live sand. I don't think it has hurt anything in my tank so far. While I admit that I have endorsed the Oolitic/Aragonite method in the past, I will say that if I could do it all over again, (and had the money when I did it,) that I would have used 100% Imported Live Rock, and Live Sand. The only reason why is because every time something happens in my tank, It's hard not to look directly at my use of the rock specifically, and wonder if it's the cause of some underlying problem. While I haven't had anything thus far that would implicate the rock or the sand, it would be nice to eliminate it from my thought process. 

For what it's worth though, a good alternative to the experiment might be just to agree that both methods work, and that one is not necessarily better than the other. I think we can all agree that one method is cheaper, but at the risk/cost of the person who uses it.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 11:05pm

Mark,  sorry about the clam   My clam is doing much better after you talked me into increasing my phyto feedings.

FWIW, Shawn at Aquatica tried Flatworm Exit on one of his tanks with no effect on the flatworms.  He saw no effect on the corals/fish either... sounds like Flatworm Exit isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I'd like a piece of that photo sponge some time.  Thanks.

scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 1:39am
This maybe alittle late. but I have a 20gallon tank that if you Mark have 100% all this Utah stuff I will run and see what happens.  I think it would be a fun experiment for me.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:22am

I just thought I would throw another 2 cents into the debate even though it is over.  People have mentioned the drawback of using agragonite but have not mentioned the problems that can occur with live rock.  With the use of live rock you take the chance of importing many types of aquarium pests such as mantis shrimp, rock crabs, aptaisia, manjo, flat worms, parasitic isopods and the list goes on and on.

Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 7:27am
Way to fan the flames!! (is it getting hot in here?) 
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Keither View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keither Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:00am
Excellent Point KeoDog
My bubbles....
He likes Bubbles.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 2:34pm
I think that the general census of this forum is that the "experiment" should not happen, which was the point of this thread.  Since, the conclusion has been drawn, maybe the moderator should close this thread to further comments.
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 2:40pm
I would also like a piece of the photosynthetic sponge which every tank needs. Mark PM me.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 4:28pm
Quote: Originally posted by Marcus on 23 July 2003
I think that the general census of this forum is that the "experiment" should not happen, which was the point of this thread.  Since, the conclusion has been drawn, maybe the moderator should close this thread to further comments.
No mo bets!  Bonzai!
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:31pm
Quote: Originally posted by jfinch on 23 July 2003
No mo bets!  Bonzai!
And I wondered how one gets so many postings.
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:49pm
Well no one ever got back to me so I guess this Utah stuff is not all its cracked up to be.  But on a better note thanks for saving me some mony.

1 125 gallon reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 6:10am

Quote: Originally posted by scroll on 24 July 2003

Well no one ever got back to me so I guess this Utah stuff is not all its cracked up to be. 

Don't open yourself up to an attack.

scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 8:57am
=Joking

1 125 gallon reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 11:43am
I know... Just giving you a hard time Ryan, you know that...
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 5:51pm

I'm going back to Vermont and setting up a prop tank with all utah aragonite and 1 piece of ocean live rock (for seeding purposes).  I'll let everyone know how it works. 2 20g tanks, DSB, 1 tank MH the other 96watt pc connected together.

Brad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic