Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish enflamed gills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish enflamed gills
    Posted: August 02 2015 at 8:40pm
I added a couple of clowns a month ago (jul 8) and the past couple of days the one has really secluded itself and it didn't eat yesterday or today. I noticed that today its gills looked enflamed and it seems to be having trouble keeping itself upright.

I have other fish in the tank and they seem to be doing fine.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Any ideas on what I can try? 

If you watch the video you can see that it is having a hard time staying upright and it looks like he is having a hard time breathing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:23pm
My guess is a bacterial infection that started on its own or was possibly brought on by gill parasites. I believe a brief Formalin dip in tank water siphoned into a separate small tank can help kill the parasite, but for the infection, a well fed fish can sometimes overcome it. There are some fish food additives, like Nitrofurazone that can attack bad bacterial infections.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Just curious, was a garlic treatment used for the first 5 days after these fish came into the aquarium and once every 2 weeks after that? 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:42pm
I have not done a specific garlic treatment but I do have garlic nori in the tank and I feed LRS reef frenzy which says it has garlic in it so I thought I was safe.

Where is the best place to get formalin locally and how long do you recommend doing a dip for? I am assuming that the Formalin bottle will tell me how much to use per gallon?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 12:40am
I would lean toward a Bacterial infection. Treat in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with Furan 2. It Contains two furan compounds to combat a wide variety of gram-positive & gram-negative bacterial diseases, including bacterial gill disease.

If you opt for the Formalin dip (which works well on parasites including Brooklynella) and you can't find Formalin, Look for a saltwater treatment with Malachite Green/Formalin as active ingredients.

Heavy prolonged use of Garlic has shown to be detrimental to the health of fish. LRS only rinses thier product in Garlic water so it can be added to the label due to consumer demand.

Edited by sabeypets - August 03 2015 at 12:43am
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 7:02am
Helpful information from Shaun. Thumbs Up

Please note that over  the course of the last 10+ years I have developed a Garlic Oil Treatment that has worked successfully for hundreds of my own fish and countless other hobbyists. It did not help with everything but it make a huge difference in my fishes avoidance of Ich and subsequent bacterial infections. 

Not all garlic products are the same. I can guarantee that those "studies" Shaun mentioned did not use my product nor method. I have found the one that does the best. Find the link to MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment in the Reefkeeping Tips. Because I am no longer interested in making $ from it, I probably ought to divulge the product and where I get it. Wink   Solgar Garlic Oil Perles are available at only one local store. The Vitamin Shoppe on State Street in Sandy, in Orem and online at Amazon.com 

For best results, please use per my directions.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 11:56am
any suggestions on the best place to purchase Furan 2?
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Helpful information from Shaun. Thumbs Up

Please note that over  the course of the last 10+ years I have developed a Garlic Oil Treatment that has worked successfully for hundreds of my own fish and countless other hobbyists. It did not help with everything but it make a huge difference in my fishes avoidance of Ich and subsequent bacterial infections. 

Not all garlic products are the same. I can guarantee that those "studies" Shaun mentioned did not use my product nor method. I have found the one that does the best. Find the link to MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment in the Reefkeeping Tips. Because I am no longer interested in making $ from it, I probably ought to divulge the product and where I get it. Wink   Solgar Garlic Oil Perles are available at only one local store. The Vitamin Shoppe on State Street in Sandy, in Orem and online at Amazon.com 

For best results, please use per my directions.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I agree with you Mark. I Debated whether or not to post that, my intent was to let it be known (and why) LRS does not have enough garlic in It to amount to much, and that it can't hurt to use Garlic as per your instructionsBig smile ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
Shaun 

Edited by sabeypets - August 03 2015 at 9:01pm
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

any suggestions on the best place to purchase Furan 2?

PM sent
Shaun
American Fork
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic