Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemone container advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Colby365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colby365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemone container advice
    Posted: August 07 2015 at 7:11pm
Wanted something sleek that I could contain my anemone in. I got a couple things I can try but the one I really want to use is the interdesign soap/Sponge holder. However it is a type of metal so I would like your opinion on if it's safe to put in the tank. It's obviously meant for water given its purpose. I would really like to use it because it has suction cups and everything. Also if we are not sure if it is okay, is it worth risking putting it in anyway? If so what signs should I look for to know if I should remove it.

Edited by Colby365 - August 07 2015 at 7:14pm
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 7:35pm

Why contain it?

That said I have seen people put a piece of 2-3" pvc around it to keep it from roaming to much... or a plastic container (like the kind that most berries come in) work well.

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 7:53pm
I had to contain a couple for someone so I built a cage-like contraption out of the light diffuser from BRS. I put the contraption around where they had settled rather than force them into a certain area.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Colby365 Colby365 wrote:

I would like your opinion on if it's safe to put in the tank.
Think about it, "What does salt do to metal?"
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 9:04pm
I'm also pretty sure the anemone might squeeze between the bars. I would not put metal in my tank
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Colby365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colby365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 9:11pm
Yes I understand what salt does to metal but not all metal.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 9:31pm
I personal wouldn't risk it! I also agree that it looks like the anemone could just squeeze through it. There have been several people that have lost everything due to just a tiny little brass fitting on a plastic water line. That is most likely made of some cheap Chinese aloy and there is no tell what toxins could be in there. It really just comes down to how much your willing to risk! I as I'm sure many others have torn a tank apart because of accidentally dropping a tiny nail or screw or some other metal object in the tank as we just weren't willing to risk it. The honest truth is we have no idea what that thing is really made of or if it will harm your tank or not but most of us just wouldn't be willing to risk everything in our tanks on a gamble. It your call!

What about a cheap plastic dishwasher baby bottle nipple holder thingy you can find at just about any Walmart for like a buck or 2.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Colby365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colby365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 10:44pm
I agree, I will be going with something plastic like that. Thanks for the input, u had a feeling I wasn't going to use it. Thanks everyone!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Colby365 Colby365 wrote:

Yes I understand what salt does to metal but not all metal.
 We should not allow any metal in the water of our reef aquariums or in any of the fittings coming after the RO unit delivering water to our reef aquariums. Why? With one exception, metal corrodes and kills coral. The only metal that can be used safely for any length of time is Titanium. Grounding probes are Titanium and there are Titanium heaters (they fail too quickly, so those heaters are typically not used by professionals like myself) but even those corrode eventually.

Maybe we should go back to the question asked at first by 1stupidpunk, who is by the way, a good, knowledgeable hobbyist. "Why do you want to contain this anemone?" Are you aware that anemones are escape artists? Have you noticed that they are changelings? Huge anemones can squeeze though a hole the size of a small pea and between slits on powerhead screens. They will roam all over to find the right spot where flow and light are just right. They need to breathe, eat and excrete. They will suffocate if they cannot get enough water flow for those three purposes. A container restricts water flow, hindering their ability to respire and eat and leaving them to wallow in their excrement. Have you ever seen an anemone or coral succumb to these poor conditions? You may have but you may not have known that was happening.

When I want an anemone to stay put for a while, I find a small fist size rock it likes and then place the rock on the open sand away from the main rock structure where it can't migrate and become difficult to remove. I place it where the water is flowing smooth and swift but not too fast. I watch the anemone response for an hour or so for tentacle hydration, which means it's happy. If it's not happy in a spot, I move the rock over the sand to a new spot. An anemone may often like the leeward side of the rock where the water current forms eddies. The anemone usually stays put for days or weeks, until its time for it to go to a new home. 

I hope the info provided above by everyone helps to expand your knowledge and helps you realize how much there is to learn about this hobby and everything in the universe.

Aloha,
Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 08 2015 at 9:58am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 4:52pm
I saw a article not to long ago about a guy building a cage out of PVC and some netting for his anemone to give it a break from his clowns. I'll try to find the article.
Colby365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colby365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 5:28pm
Thanks schmidty!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic