Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ich has hit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ich has hit
    Posted: August 16 2015 at 4:58pm
Hi. I have a 90 and 180 plumbed into one system. Had a powder brown tang developed ich and passed. Now a purple tang has it bad. They system gas a uv on it. Anyone have any suggestions. I have to get ahead of thia. Thank you.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 6:00pm
It's rough.  I'm not sure what to say.  Ozone?

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 8:43pm
I'm no Pro but do you have a cleaner or fire shrimp in the tank? I would think it would take care of most of the ick on the fish except for the gills.

Edited by Schmidty - August 16 2015 at 8:44pm
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 11:42pm
I have used Kordon brand "Ich Attack" with very good success. I wouldnt attempt to move the fish in fear that the additional stress will kill it.
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 5:33am
Also how old is your uv build?
laroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 4:53pm
Quarantine the tangs and if you have the capability change the tank every three days. I've tried copper does work but IMO can have some loss. Substrate I believe is the hardest thing to address. Needs to run its cycle so no reinfection or I would remove it completely.  Good luck.
Always be leery of a fish farmer...wait or is it a pig farmer?
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 5:40pm
Also make sure the tank temp is not fluctuating much from night to day.
Time waits on no one
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 10:33pm
UV bulb is brand new. Temp fluctuates very little. We have a good cooler on the system. Is that ich attach treatment safe in the reef?
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 3:38am
I cant speak for other brands but the Kordon brand "Ich attack" is reef safe. I have used it and it had no negative effect on my snails/shrimp, my corals did anemone did close up while i was using it, but everything recovered after i was done with the treatment.

Make sure you are buying the correct product though as the same company has a "Rid-Ich Plus" that will kill your inverts..

I had an Ich outbreak and feared the stress of moving my blue tang would kill it. I used the product per their instructions and didnt loose any fish or corals... i did start using it as soon as i noticed the Ich though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic