Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saying hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saying hello
    Posted: August 27 2015 at 1:04pm
Just found out about this place and stopping by to say hello!

Wife got me a jelly fish tank for Christmas last year, (jellyfishart.com 3 Jelly kit) and that's what started it all. The little 5 gallon, no filter, no anything salt water with little floating Jellies has grown into something much larger.

We kept our jellyfish alive for several months, but we took a vacation and didn't train up our house sitter enough I guess :(

But that meant we had a tank with nothing in it to turn into whatever else we wanted -- Water, a filter, little bit of LR and LS, and a couple of weeks later we have two little mushrooms and a Red Legged Hermit Crab :D (not pictured, he was shy)

They've been kicking around for a week or so and the Wife and I decided we were ready for something more than 5 gallons. We kept hearing that bigger is better when starting out so watching KSL.com we found a new-for-us 90 gallon tank with almost a full system also. Cabinet, Lights, (most of the) plumbing, Sump with 3 sections, Skimmer, even a Reactor! Missing a return pump, heater, and no power heads. But for a great price to get us rolling! 

Jimmy over at at Live Rock N Reef was amazing through getting stuff and setup and everything. Also pointed us over here for this community!

As of today it's installed (Thanks Jimmy!) and ready to add stuff, once we get the Return pump (Heading out to get one after work today!).

No water, or anything in it yet, but here's what we're looking at! I'm excited to get to meet everyone on here and to get into a new hobby :D

Pictures of our new stuff below here

How it looks all put together -- Wife didn't like the empty tank so she gave it some life with Dry Erase Markers until we get things put in it

All our equipment -- it had been left uncleaned so was covered with flith, dust, algae, salt deposits, and every other cruddy stuff you can imagine. We spent 3 days doing nothing but cleaning!

I didn't get before pics, but you can see that this is actually a white pipe under all the crud we cleaned off!

Probably way more than we need for a 90, but it came with the setup so i'm not complaining!

Gotta keep the water happy

Here's our sump all plumbed (Except the return pump, that will go on the left-side chamber).

I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 1:40pm
Welcome! that's quite a jump from the 5 gallon jelly bowl to the 90. You'll love it! Are you planning a mixed reef tank?

BTW, you're wife's drawings are pretty sweet (especially the octopus!)

Edited by Hogie - August 27 2015 at 1:42pm
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 2:05pm
Welcome! We should hire your wife for grease marker art on the tanks at MWRF to add some coolness to those tanks.

You'll love that 90. I'm a little concerned about that drain line going uphill to over the light and then to the sump but you should have enough down force to keep it from being a problem.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 2:18pm
Yup, mixed reef. I like the corals and she likes the fish. Seems like the right way to go :D

She was so proud of that one! :D
~Albert Einstein
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 2:24pm
Hahaha, I bet she would love that! She's at work now but I'll pester her into making a Forum account tonight (After we go get our new pump of course!)

I plan on replacing the flex pipe with Rigid piping at some point... But for now just wanted to get the thing done! I didn't think the little uphill would be really impact it. Like a roller coaster, the uphill after the first big downhill doesn't stop it, so the water should continue to fall? There's a TON I don't know though. why would the little uphill be bad?
~Albert Einstein
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 2:26pm
Realized the Forum isn't Reddit -- Replying to one person replies to the whole post not to that individual person. Guess i'll have to learn to use the "Quote" function too... All kinds of new things to learn with this hobby! LOLBeer
~Albert Einstein
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 2:41pm
The uphill causes some back pressure to the flow in the drain. It may not stop the flow but it definitely slows it down (just like the roller coaster). The best setup for a drain line is a constant downward flow. I'm not saying it won't work just remember that if you ever have to undo that gray fitting just below the tank there will be water in that pipe still that will want to go all over your nice wall, carpet, tile, or hardwood floor.

It should still work but just keep you eye on how well it's draining. Depending on your new pump you might have to slightly close a valve between the pump and the return lines to the tank to make sure you don't pump too fast for the drain to keep up.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 3:02pm
Good point! I hadn't even thought of water draining back when the drain is undone! I'll for sure keep an eye on it. Thanks!
~Albert Einstein
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2015 at 5:15pm
Welcome - Thanks for your post!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic