Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

about to buy a used tank, need urgent advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: about to buy a used tank, need urgent advice.
    Posted: August 31 2015 at 2:59pm
I need info about:
Repairing Scratches in glass.
Structural importance of the plastic frame/ braces.

The tank in question is a 180g 6x2x2
If someone can please call me and give me advice it would be very appreciated
Thanks in advance
Chris 801 709 9070
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 3:46pm
You can buy new plastic frames or repair them fairly easily... they are needed to keep the glass from bowing out.

Scratches can be buffed out if they are very shallow scratches... deep scratches are harder to remove..... also some very small scratches are not visible when water is added to tank.
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 6:51pm
Thank you, shark bite called with some good info too.
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 10:37am
Can you summarize the good info he shared?   I haven't had an Emergency yet, but i've learned so much from this particular forum about what to watch for!
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
CHAOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 1:56pm
Braces are essential to avoid bowing, scratches can not be removed, and he still has 2 180g tanks in better conditions for $500 each.
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 2:00pm
I would agree that getting scratches out of glass is really difficult. I bought a used tank that had some fairly light scratches. You could barely feel them with your fingernail. I bought a buff pad and some cerium oxide (as the internet searches suggest) and after an hour of buffing with my power drill couldn't tell a difference. It is possible that I wasn't using enough compound or whatever, but it is something that I know I don't want to deal with again :).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic