Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mandarin or red dragonette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mandarin or red dragonette
    Posted: August 31 2015 at 6:17pm
Tell me about your experiences.
I have a 105 gallon display with a 40 gallon breeder remote fuge. The system has been running since about December, and had fish and coral since March. Which do you guys have better luck with? I have had both in other systems, the mandarins are better looking but the red dragonettes seem to be more entertaining.

Current fish:
2 Cardinals
2 clowns
1 tri-color wrasse
1 yellow wrasse
105 rimless
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:01pm
+1 to the red dragonette. I personal have never had either, but they look cool and I agree when I visit other tanks that the mandarins hide more. Why buy a fish that is just going to stay hidden?
Vandonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:04pm
I don't think a mandarin or a red dragonette is a good idea, unless they are trained to eat frozen of course. The wrasses scavenge for pods the same way mandarins and dragonettes do, and the mandarin and dragonette would eventually starve, as wrasses outcompete dragonettes for food. Only one wrasse will deplete the pod population quickly, but having two will definitely starve a dragonette. If you still plan on getting a mandarin or dragonette, get one from an lfs that can prove that they will eat frozen foods.
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 5:49pm
In my 40 breeder fuge I have about 30lbs of live rock and 2 good balls of macro. I have a good pod population. I figured that my combo might be a little tough for a dragonette. The other downside is I'd also like a copperband.. Too many fish that like the same thing
105 rimless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic