Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MACNA 2015: Photos, Recap & Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MACNA 2015: Photos, Recap & Review
    Posted: September 08 2015 at 12:14am

As many of you know, this past weekend was not just Labor Day weekend - it was also the weekend of the 2015 Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA, for short).

I had the good fortune of attending the Conference, along with several others from WMAS. What follows is a recap of the 3 - day event, for those of you who were not able to attend. I will also share my experiences and opinions on the event at large; from the perspective of a hobbyist, and not necessarily as a member of WMAS or the WMAS Presidency.

What is MACNA? 

MACNA is an annual Conference and trade show that takes place at a different location each year. It lasts for 3 days, and features many famous Guest Speakers, along with a large Exhibit Hall filled with display booths from many of the big name companies in the Marine & Reefkeeping Hobby industry. There are also Vendors selling corals and marine fish; a Friday night reception and a Saturday night Banquet; and a large raffle with dozens of prizes.

This year's MACNA took place at the Wardman Marriot Hotel & Convention Center in Washington, DC.

A 3-day full access pass (which included everything above) cost $119 per person.

Getting to MACNA

My MACNA adventure started the way everyone else's from around here would have started... flying to Washington DC.

I was lucky to have booked my flights at a time a few months back when Southwest Airlines was running a big sale. My flight from SLC to Reagan Airport in Washington DC was only $159; my flight home (from BWI Airport in Baltimore, this time) was $189. So, about $350 total. Not bad. And the flight home was a non-stop, to boot.

The first flight - SLC to Austin, TX

Second leg - Austin to Washington DC

I chose to rent a car and drive from the airports to MACNA. I got a nice little subcompact for $109 total. Other options would have been to take the train (DC Metro); take a taxicab; or even try out the "Uber" online car service.

The Hotel

Because I booked my room a little late in the game, I did not stay at the Wardman Marriott, as it was sold out. MACNA had secured rooms at a second hotel, the Omni Sheraton. It was right across the street from the Marriott, so no issues going back and forth to the Conference. I was able to get the MACNA - negotiated discount price of $125 / night. If you have ever been to Washington DC, you would know that price is about half of what a quality hotel room goes for. So a good deal.

The Omni was celebrating its 75th Anniversary. Apparently it is a hotel with a good deal of local history.

The Omni Sheraton, Washington DC

A luxurious place with a lot of history

My own room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and well-appointed:

Interestingly enough, both WMAS President Jeremy Wooten and I felt like the 'overflow' hotel was actually a little nicer than the actual MACNA Hotel...

Anyway, now that I was safely checked in to my hotel room in Washington, DC it was time to go check out the Show...

Edited by Upload2 - September 08 2015 at 10:51pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 8:57am
I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for taking the time to do this, Bob.

I read on this forum that MACNA is taking place in California next year. I'll for sure be going to that.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 9:16am
If you are even thinking of going buy now, you can resell when the event sells out (it always sells out).  They just raised it to 99 today. I bet it's 119 by Jan. 

Also book the hotel early too, you can always cancel. 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 9:22am
Thank you very much. Is the venue pretty solid with these types of events?

I don't know the scale of them and if they move to scale up or down. 

Also, does this sound right as far as the venue? Town and Country Resort in San Diego, California.

Thanks!
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 9:40am
Had 3000 attendee's for DC.  Biggest one yet.  It's quite the production.  The hotel will be locked and solid.

They will have a reception (I was told it will be a good party by MACNA 2016), a banquet and 3 full days of activities.  I will post some pictures on a separate thread to show all the swag you get too.

MACNA 2016 will be at MWRF on the 26th, they would be happy to answer any other questions.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 4:11pm
Thanks. Sorry Bob!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 11:29pm

Marcoss - nothing to be sorry about; ask all the questions you want!

Jon - post your swag pics HERE on this thread! And tell us what you did to get your corals on the plane, and home from MACNA (since I did not buy any)...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Show"

First off, MACNA is huge in size. It is one of the 2 or 3 largest shows of this kind in the entire world. The bulk of which is the Exhibition Hall, filled with close to 150 booths showcasing all the latest Marine & Reefkeeping hobby equipment, plus fish and corals for sale. Then you have the Speaker rooms, the Banquet Hall, and the lounge and reception areas.

Touring the Exhibition Hall is a pretty awesome experience. There are just booths everywhere. And it is a lot of fun walking the aisles, checking out all the cool new equipment and gadgets, and all the beautiful display tanks:

Entrance to the Exhibition Hall

MASNA Booth

MACNA 2016 Booth - next year it will be held in San Diego

Inside the Hall

Tons of booths. Tons of display tanks, filled with all kinds of cool fish & corals.

Which brings me to my first major MACNA criticism...

Almost NONE of it is For Sale.

Maybe I expect too much, but it sure would have been nice to take home one of the cool new LED lighting systems, or the latest Bubble King skimmer, or maybe one of those 100+ sweet Scolys in that Eye Catching Corals display. You know how many out of those 100+ Scolys were for sale? Exactly zero.

Too bad it was all only for show.

Now there were some things for sale - Karen Talbot had artwork for sale; I saw a booth with T-Shirts; one or 2 other booths. And this guy DID have a bunch of equipment  for sale - albeit nothing new from the show:

But 90+ % of all those cool display tanks you just looked at? Sorry, just for show.

Which brings me to my second big critique:

I was disappointed how FEW fish & coral vendors were at MACNA

I went around and counted, twice, just to be sure. 22 vendors. That's it.

Now, why do I say that 22 was only a "few"..?

Well, in my head, I am comparing MACNA to our own regional show, the Mountain West Reef Fest (MWRF).

And the MWRF generally averages between 12 - 15 fish & coral vendors. (This year I believe we have 13.)

So MACNA had fewer than double the fish & coral vendors that the MWRF gets. Despite having over 100 more total exhibit booths.

And most of the fish & coral vendors were no bigger - or better - than the MWRF vendors.

Although I did really like the booth for Pacific East Aquaculture. They had a tank full of cool Sponges and Gorgonians that I really wanted to take some home. And also a large tank filled with close to 100 clams. But they were the exception, rather than the rule.

Edited by Upload2 - September 09 2015 at 12:35am
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 8:35am
I would be happy to post my pic's here, I am still working to get them uploaded.  I just didn't want to hijack the thread. 

So in fairness to MACNA I do have a few responses to your critique's. 

RAP and MAX are more for coral, that is the show you will see coral vendors outnumber manufacturers.  Macna keeps it at a good mix and as people travel not everyone is buying a tank or coral.  I like MACNA a lot because they limit coral vendors (I know which shows to go for that). 

Most won't sell display items on Saturday but on Sunday it becomes fair game.  Some of the places are wholesalers and will sell to stores during MACNA or at the end.  I saw a ton of tanks for sale on Sunday and a lot of the display coral and fish  get sold too.  Tunze offered to sell me a discounted ATO but only once the show ended as it was their display unit.  Sometimes you do have to ask. You saw that ProAquatix and other retailers loan out their fish so everyone can see them in tanks.  Those guys will sometimes take back or sell.  Usually LFS get first dibs.  

Corals were 30-50% off on Sunday.  You can lose out on the best pieces but I saw some amazing stuff!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 9:23am
Bob, was this your first MACNA? If not, how did it compare to years past? Would you go again?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 9:52am
It sounds like MACNA is for retailers that is open to the general public, for some reason. I go to a number of expos a year, but they are for buyers/retailers only. They show the newest trends, what is cool, and what you can expect to see in the future. At the end of the day, they let you buy items that the vendors do not want to take back.

I have never been to MACNA though but from reading what Bob is saying, sounds like that to me.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:28am
It's a better mix of that. Keep in mind as its MASNA backed it's also educational. I think there were 20+ speakers and more workshops too. It's a great all in one.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 7:08pm
This is my 4th MACNA.  Each one is a bit unique and also the same.  We had really wanted to check out DC together so that played a big part for us (the location is sometimes as much fun as the event). 

We had a good time.  It was the best run one we have been to.  The Banquet was the best of the bunch.  The reception was the worst.  I talked to the SD guys and they said their reception won't be weak!  I even won a some Rod's fish food (my fav) and two Proaquatix Platinum Clownfish.  Now the trick is getting it all home. 

What I love with MACNA and all fish events is you are with your people, no one bats and eye when you talk coral or crazy fish or skinmate.  I know my family and friends think I am crazy to go to a fish event but we love it.  Going to enough of these I recognize a lot of people and it was great having so many from Utah (probably as many as in Denver ironically). 

I am going to break this into 3 posts as I have a lot of pictures and some will be similar to Bob's.

1 - Event pictures and speakers. 

2 - Tanks and vendors

3 - Corals

Adorable Chameleon picture cause, well I can...

Event Pictures

Representing WMAS - Although many confused me with the host club WAMAS

Goodie bag swag

I got two of these so donating one to WMAS for Game Night, book of nothing but quiz questions. 

For third year in a row I woke up way too damn early and went to the Neptune User Conference.  I got to sit next to a special guest. 

They gave these out for those who came early.  Really neat idea for a coral show.

I had the honor of being there when WMAS's Brad Tileman Syphus won the first ever Marine Aquarium Hobbyist of the Year.  Was great to see.  WMAS nominated Brad.

So side note on Brad.  I posted his picture on Facebook and all weekend my phone blew up.  He had so many people come up to him to chat with him and congratulate him.  It was amazing to see.  He also seemed to know just about everyone there.  Was an honor being able to see him win.  Congrats again Brad!

New product announcements

Really excited about the fluid monitor

Cool shirt

First Speaker -

Dr. Charlie Veron, Corals of the World: The Website

Great to know the efforts they are going through to move those massive volumes to a webpage. 

Sanjay Joshi, Reducing Electrical Use in Reef Aquariums

Loved this talk, great practical advice. 

Glad to know he gets these too.

Matt Wandell, Pushing the Boundaries
Matt talked about deep diving and collecting.  How they were able to get deep fish back up safely.  Some of those were 250+ feet.  They actually built their own fish decompression chamber they could take with them.  It was great to see. 

Tony Nahacky, A Day in the Life of a Fish Collector
Best speaker of the show.  He was incredible!  It was amazing seeing them carefully and sustainably collect fish.  I was in awe. 

Allan Van Zijl, Suburban Clam Farming

Great presentation of a hobbyist in Australia who made a go out of clam farming, he has done a great job.  Great to see what the regular hobbyist can do. 

Awesome Banquet and speaker Bruce Carlson.  He has been to WMAS before. 

Went to the mindstream workshop.  Was pretty technical but enjoyed hearing what they are doing. 

Raffle Mermaid, cause you know why not.

Reef2Reef Raffle

I hadn't planned on buying coral for this trip, we brought nothing with us and no cooler.  So we thought ok we won't do it.  Well the coral were amazing and at great prices.  So we bought on the last day at the best prices but we had an issue.  How do we get it home?  We were hold you can bring it through TSA but it has to show it's a living animal and you could get issues (fish are no problem, I called and if they can swim they are set).  Well the vendors were recommending going to Dirks (Bob had a picture in his portion).  They had this cooler for $5.  We got one of the last ones just in case and went we bought they protected them well.  We also put the coral in their bags and cups into the freebie Neptune cooler.  The best part was the awesomeness of Utah's own Zoanthids.com Holly and Brandon.  I did not buy from them but they gave me a bunch of specimen cups so I could take my home my coral.  Without them we wouldn't have had success.  They were great. 

We packed corals in the cooler, then in the bigger cooler.  We then put in my suitcase.  TSA did do a bag check but didn't open the big cooler (taped shut).  No leaking and everything was happy. 

Swag

Edited by jdinchak - September 09 2015 at 7:54pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 7:11pm
Vendors and Tanks

Sea and Reef - They have a new clown coming out.  Freaky looking

Real Reef

Great rock.  They have these great natural looking frag plugs they are looking to put out.  Fit different types of coral. 

They also are testing colored rock.  I think Black with black sand could look great with negative space.  Other colors for team or themed tanks

Mindstream

Pacific East

ORA

Proaquatix

Heck of a Chiller - This thing was bigger then most home ones.

Innovative Marine

Zetlights had this LED fixture completely submerged.  Great for a sump

Slimline heater in a larger wattage

Small cylinder

Love the Red Sea Sailfins

Reef Savvy
The Ghost Overflow is incredible, gives you so much space back in the tank

ESV - My fav salt

ORA

Edited by jdinchak - September 09 2015 at 10:21pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 7:13pm
Corals!!!

This was my favorite piece

Some awesome Ric's from WWC

Pacific East - CLAMS.  So hard to pass up.  Going for $80 each

Edited by jdinchak - September 09 2015 at 10:26pm
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 7:15pm
Sounds awesome. Now I'm really interested in checking out RAP and MAX.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Sounds awesome. Now I'm really interested in checking out RAP and MAX.

RAP and MAX are really cool, very coral focused.  Short flight or decent drive. 

MACNA next year should be great too.  Until any of those, MWRF!

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:42pm
Hey. Nice pics. Were the freaky clowns you are referring to the new "Dalmatian dog" looking ones? They kind of also look like black and white cows. Super excited about those. Hoping Shawn gets some in.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Hey. Nice pics. Were the freaky clowns you are referring to the new "Dalmatian dog" looking ones? They kind of also look like black and white cows. Super excited about those. Hoping Shawn gets some in.

Yeah, funny thing is Shaun's pics are better then the young fish they had on display, I guess they have to grow into them!

Have to say I like them!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 10:58pm

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Bob, was this your first MACNA? If not, how did it compare to years past? Would you go again?

This was my second MACNA... however, the last time I went was like MACNA # 3 or 4, it was in New Jersey, and it was early 1990's Shocked

This one was a lot bigger than what I remembered.

And yes, I will be going again - most likely to next years in San Diego Clap

I don't want people to think I didn't have a great time - I did! - there were just a couple of things I guess didn't meet my personal expectations (which maybe I was just expecting too much based on all the hype).

But I absolutely recommend that everyone go at least once; it is like a "bucket list" thing for us fish geeks, LOL LOL

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 11:03pm
Just gotta get you there all three days :D

I hope we get a lot of people out to San Diego! 
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic