Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming Meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming Meetings
    Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:11am

Presidency is considering upcoming meetings.  Please share your thoughts with us....

We need to have a coral cutting seminar in either September or October.  Would it be more helpful to have this in September before the Reef Tour, or would it be better to do this in October after the Reef Tour?  Pros and Cons both ways, it does require a lot of work to pull off the seminar. 

Other upcoming meeting topics that are in the works are... Invertebrates, Water Chemistry, Info on IndoPacific collection (Walt Smith?), Scuba Diving Trips (through Neptune Divers), Brine Shrimp Direct, Swap Meet,

and whatever else.... please give us ideas.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Keither View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keither Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:30am

As for myself, just joining from at the last spectacular meeting.  I think I would be interested now in inverts and the care and "Breeding" if that's the proper term.  I've heard of some of your anemonies splitting, but I dont know much about other kinds of inverts.

But of course at my level any information is good information.

I'd also be interested in collections of area specific fish groups.  You were mentioning Indo Pacific, but what about Carribean or African.  I wonder if one wanted to be area specific what groups or species would be advisable?

Anyway, it's an idea.

David

My bubbles....
He likes Bubbles.
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:43am

I would say, please have the coral cutting class after the tour.  From experience you don't want anything to disturb the tank before the tour.  How about the inverts or water Chemistry.  If we did the water chemistry class, could we bring in enough water to take some tests?

John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 9:57am

I would like to see expanded Inverts meetings focusing on specific groups of inverts (e.g. Shrimp, Clams, Sea Stars, etc.). This way there could be more detail on individual species (There are quite a few star types out there, I want to know how they move, what the prefered diet of each is, how they interact with reef and fish life, breeding, colouration, internal crossections, etc.)

Also, there are tons of new members, many of whom may feel information overload from all of our experts on more advanced topics. Maybe there would be a need for a beginner course once a quarter (or every six months) in addition to our normal meeting to discuss the basics (how and why to cycle a tank, lighting factors, water changes, what to look for that is good/bad, etc.)

Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
Keither View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keither Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 10:20am
I'm all for that.  I'd come.
My bubbles....
He likes Bubbles.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 10:55am

I'd like to see:
a presentation covering the lighting (how much, how important is kelven rating & intensity, is there a "best bulb", ect)  and nutritional needs (what to feed, how much, when, ect) of corals for both growth and coloration. 
Perhaps a meeting on the mechanics of reef "gagets" such as pump/powerheads, skimmers, ozone, uv, ect. 
Brine Shrimp Direct or OSI. 
Walt Smith would be very interesting too. 
I'd be all for a chemistry lesson!  Oh and the swap meet sounds interesting.  Basically, I'll attend any meeting .

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 11:13am

Jon (jfinch),

Why don't you volunteer to give the chemistry lesson?  Seems like you know what you are talking about.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 1:42pm
I second that.  I went with Jon on Saturday to collect the Brine Shrimp and his stories and explanations were informative and interesting.  He would make an excellent speaker.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 1:49pm
I 3rd that!!!
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 2:16pm
4th here...  Jon is great with chemistry!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 2:21pm
Wow... thanks.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2003 at 12:51pm
So what is our September meeting going to be on? Is it on Chemistry or did it get changed?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2003 at 1:18pm
Chemistry 101/102!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic