Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dart Frogs at Reef Fest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dart Frogs at Reef Fest
    Posted: September 27 2015 at 9:34am
Was great to see Cameron from Tropical Ecos at MWRF, glad to have them back.  I believe they will be at the Reptile show next month if you are still thinking of getting some!

If you got a Dart Frog at Reef Fest (or are thinking of getting one) - these two sites are great references.

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/

http://www.dendroboard.com/

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 4:08pm
Great links, thanks man.

I did not realize I liked frogs until the show. It was great to meet Cameron as well, very informative and may have turned us to a new hobby.

marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Ashtondem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashtondem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 7:37am
I am so happy with the 2 dart frogs I got at the conference. As a new girl to all things salt water I was a little disappointed to discover they did not live in the tank but all the same they are extremely happy living in the vivarium I built for them. Great Vendor and I hope we made it worth his wild to attend.

Edited by Ashtondem - October 02 2015 at 7:38am
Angela - The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. - Isak Dinesen
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 7:59am
They are a fun cross hobby pet. Easier then fish and you can get creative building the Viv.

I think they will be back at reptile show if you want to give a try Marcoss
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 8:10am
I have been reading those links you provided and those little guys live so long!

Also- when they do the mating calls, how loud are they? Can you hear them outside of their enclosed area? We had a couple of loud birds growing up and although I got used to them, they really disturbed the peace with my other animals. I'm just worried my dogs would hear them and try to get to them.

I have seen several videos of them making a clicking sound but it's hard to gauge how loud it is in person. I didn't hear them make a sound at the event but they may have been more calm due to the cold weather.

I'd attend the upcoming fest if I wasn't deadly afraid of reptiles. ;)
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 9:18am

I have 3 varieties of Dart Frog. 

Cobalts do not call where you can here it.  They are one of the more beautiful, bold and easy ones to care for.  Amazing in frog world.  Could you imagine a powder blue tang being easiest fish in our hobby?

Luec's will call (the bumble bee ones).  They can be pretty loud (like a squeaky washing machine).  Mine don't call though. 

My Thumbnail ones do call and I love it, it's audible but not crazy.  Sounds like squishy feet (shoes). 

I am deathly afraid of snakes but reptile show is a good way to face my fear!  Doing reef tour if you want to see my frogs. 

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:02pm
Frogs are a ton of fun! Here is a photo of my frog room! I've got 21 different species/morphs. I was supposed to vend at reef fest this year but unfortunately was out of town. The frog hobby is a ton of fun and very easy to get into. The setups are for the most part self sustaining and a lot of fun to watch grow and mature. 

If anyone is interested in learning more about the hobby, i'm always happy to help you out! Come take a tour of the frog room and i'll teach you all you need to know about it. 

This photo is a little out dated, i've got several more vivs since then. 

Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:31pm
Brett you should sign up for Reef Tour next week!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:57pm
I would love to! Are frog rooms allowed on the reef tour?
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 1:17pm
Let's do it, make it a first! Sign up at reef tour thread.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 1:21pm
Thanks Jdinkchak!

That helps so much. I really appreciate the breakdown of the breeds. I will keep an eye out and see what I can find. I found a really cool bright blue/turquoise one with red dots, but am having a hard time finding it for sale. It was just an image. I would love something super nice like that!

ch3tt, holy crap! That is a sweet set up! If you are on the reef tour, I'd for sure stop by. I'm in Utah County so I'll likely go from SLC south.

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic