Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What am I missing???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 12:59pm

Anenome has always done fine

purple gorgonian, it has struggled lately as I've had issues keeping it free of algae or cyano

Edited by jsol12 - October 01 2015 at 1:48pm
150gal/25gal sump Red Sea Max S650, started 3/28/15
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 1:16pm
As for lighting, Red Sea site says: 800w T5 flourescent 5 x 15,000k/ 3x Actinic (22,000k)/ 2x Pink + LED moonlights.  I've been running 2 lights for an hour, then 6 of them for about 6 hours, then the 2 for an hour again before the moonlights come on.  I kept the timing down because I was having continued algae and cyano outbreaks.

With the SPS, they stay good for about a week at the most before they start bleaching out and then just die.   For LPS, when I put the kryptonite in, there were 5 heads, after 2-3 days they starting shrinking, and eventually shriveled up and 3 died, and 2 still have flesh but as you can see from the pic they are very sad.  I moved them a couple or so weeks ago to below a shelf so they have less light, and in the last day or so they actually seem slightly bigger to me. I have a sad favia that I've never seen anything extended from, and it has faded.  The torch I put in just died, head by head, kind of disintegrated.  And then like I said, the duncans and blastos have done ok, just faded a little in color and haven't grown at all.  The duncan actually has grown 1 new head, but I am told they grow pretty fast, and those have both been in there since 6/27. I have a mushroom that has made 2 babies, and the zoas have seemed to be doing pretty well, but lately not open as much.  

Edited by jsol12 - October 01 2015 at 1:20pm
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 1:24pm
Just a shot in the dark here, but what are you testing your salinity with? I only ask cause I just went through something I couldn't figure out also. My salinity was sitting around 1.030 for about 3 weeks without me even knowing. I had a hydrometer that I was testing with and it was way off, reading about 1.026.. Bought a refracometer, pulled about 40 gallons out and added fresh water, poof 1.026 and holding.. Lesson learned.. Just a thought.
getting fishy??
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 1:26pm
I had a hydrometer but it broke so I bought a refractomer instead.  It's always been stable at 1.025.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 1:34pm
Pictures help immensely.

Tank looks good at first observation.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 2:06pm
You mentioned moving corals. Does your anemone cruise around a lot? Could be stinging a lot of stuff along the way. The favia/favite (or whatever it is) in the 5th image down looks stung to me. Mine looked exactly like that when an acan fell on it.

Edited by Marcoss - October 01 2015 at 2:12pm
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 2:11pm
Nope the anemone has been in the same spot since I put it in the tank
RNKADO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNKADO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 4:14pm
Hi, I know that im new here. But i have a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

ive been looking at you #'s and what concerns me is your nitrate and phos.  i think with those being zero and you Alk at 9.5, your burning your corals with the amount of light your tank has.

I would try to "Dirty up the tank a little" as they say. Start by lowering your alk to around 8.0dkh. I see that you really dont have a very big fish load for your tank size. Get some more fish!!! Thats always a  fun thing to do. Then feed them good. I feed my fish 3 times a day, with a varity of frozen foods and blackworms.

You want a little or phos. and nitrate. I keep my nitrates at 5-10ppm salifert test, and my phos. under 0.1 on my hanna checker.

Your calcium is fine where its as well your mag.

lower your alk slowly by not changing your water until you get to around 8dkh. but do keep an eye out for calcium and mag, and dose as those accordingly. This will also help "dirty" your tank a little in the process.

Thats all i can think of right now.

p.s. I hang out w/ Rusty at benepets for all you who i am. He can vouch for me. Thanks
120g mixed reef
Set up 3/14
Ryan
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 5:03pm
Thanks for your input.  I would love to get new fish! Being only 6 months into this, between buying this tank and everything to start it up, the fish, corals, and supplies I'm already making my husband crazy lol. I've been on spending lockdown for a bitLOL
RNKADO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RNKADO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 5:38pm
I totally understand. My wife keeps me in check most of the time. Lol
Ok back to your levels, do you run filter socks? If you do try not running them for a couple of weeks.
What your wanting to do is get some kind of nitrate and phos reading. Once those start going up a bit, then you can raise your alk slowly up if you want. I find lower alk=less stony coral problem for me at least.
Then you can start to up your lighting slowly.
I run my tank 425 cal. 7.7dkh alk 1380 mag nitrate between 5-10ppm. Although i do get better color if i stay around 5ppm. Phos i try to keep 0.06-0.1
Just take your time (I know hard said than done) lol
Try these things for a couple weeks and see if you notice any diffrence in your corals.
120g mixed reef
Set up 3/14
Ryan
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by jsol12 jsol12 wrote:

Ok, so I guess I'll have to go out and get a volt meter now to continue the detective work!
After seeing your pics showing the condition of the coral currently in the tank, I can confidently say that there is no stray voltage issue.

Originally posted by jsol12 jsol12 wrote:

I do have carbon, it is SeaChem Seagel.
From above, "
PO4 at zero is going to cause issues. It's difficult to keep PO4 at zero but if a product (GFO or AA) was used from the startup of this tank which has continually kept PO4 at zero, I suggest that as a possible cause for the issues."

Seagel is part AC(Activated Carbon) and part AA(Activated Alumina, called Phosguard by SeaChem). AA is for removing PO4. It should not be used continuously because it strips so much PO4 out of the water that algae cannot grow. Stopping the growth of the symbiotic zooxanthellae algae living in coral will cause those coral to die. I believe this is part of the problem. I would discontinue using the Seagel on a continuous basis and instead use ordinary AC. 

I would also use a small pad of Poly Filter to remove a variety of toxic pollutants entering the water from the dead LR.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jsol12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsol12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 9:12pm
Ok great! Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and input! I've got some things I can try out and I'm sure I'll be back again in no time with more questions/issues/frustrations!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic