Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does every single Tang I put in my tank stop e
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why does every single Tang I put in my tank stop e

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does every single Tang I put in my tank stop e
    Posted: October 02 2015 at 4:55pm
Hello Everyone !

I am new to this forum and I have a question . Why does every Tang I add to my tank stop eating and die after 1-2 weeks?
I have a 180 gallon Reef tank. It's been up and running for 5 years. All our other fish are doing great and water is perfect ( according to testing ). No bullying that I have seen . Corals and Anenomes are good .

I lost a clown tang after 3 weeks , it was doing great and eating for 1 1/2 weeks then stopped eating and died at 3 weeks. Our Yellow tang stopped eating and died after 1 week. We now have added another yellow. He did great for 1 week and 2 days ago stopped eating. We are feeding our fish LSF Fish Frenzy food , as well as Emerald green. We add garlic Extreme. We have a clip that holds seaweed that's in there , we replace it daily. We also have an alge/ miss plant in there and we drop in alge tabs as well.
PLEASE HELP .... We don't want to lose this one, he is so cool and has an awesome personality.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 6:31pm
How do you acclimate? What is your salinty
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 6:37pm
So sorry to hear that! Do you have areas for them to hide? I have a couple of yellow tangs that only hide. They are super nervous little fish. At least compared to my clowns that eat from a turkey baster.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 8:21pm
Thanks for Responding !!!My salinity is at 1.024. Yes there are plenty of places to hide in the reefs. We acclimate with all the lights off for about 30-45 min
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 8:22pm
My water temp has been a bit high at 80, all our other fish don't seem to mind though. We have been trying to bring the temp down though
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 8:25pm
I recommend quarantining new tangs in a separate tank. That way there is no stress from other fish, they don't have to compete for food and they can be inspected for parasites and diseases before going into the main tank.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 9:27pm
I totally agree but I don't have a quarantine tank
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 10:15pm
You have probably just had bad luck.  What other fish are in the tank?  The clown tang I can see, as it can be difficult to keep.  Yellow tangs are much hardier.

150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 10:52pm
I have a Green Spotted Mandarin Goby , 2 clown fish, Lawn mower Goby, 1 female Anthias, 1 Royal Gamma, 2 blue Chromis, a 6 line wrasse, a Flamed Hawk fish, and the Yellow Tang. We also have 2 Emerald crabs , a bunch of little hermits, snails, Corals , Anenomes, and a Lot of live rock
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 11:14pm
Nothing in that list would be able to pick on a tang, except for maybe the six line wrasse.  They can be aggressive.

Having said that, I stand by what I said, that you just have had bad luck.  That's not a lot of fish for that size of tank and a tang should hold its own against a small fish, even an aggressive one... 
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 11:30pm
You have a large tank and such small fish. That's awesome. How big is your tang when you add it? I don't know the answer but yellow tangs are pretty tough. Not that you should subject them to poor quality but they are somewhat resilient. Some tangs are some of the harder fish to keep, like an Achilles. Could be bad luck or maybe they are super stressed when you buy them from your LFS. There is some place in slc that has fish they quarantine for longer periods of time for higher prices. May be worth a shot to try those. But it sucks losing fish
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:01am
Are the tangs showing any other signs of sickness other than not eating?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:04am
Have you got all your tangs from the same vender/ venders? Where have you gotten your fish?
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:42am
We would like to eventually add more fish , we want to add some hippos and a few more yellow tangs but we r waiting to see if we can keep one alive for longer then 3 weeks before we buy more. It is a large tank! I also would like to add an angel to my crew . We are buying them all from a store in Sandy.
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:43am
They are not showing any other signs of sickness, they just stop eating then died

Edited by Aloha007 - October 03 2015 at 12:45am
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 12:50am
Silly question , how many fish can a tank my size hold ? I want to make sure there is plenty of swimming room and not over crowded either. I want them all to be happy

Edited by Aloha007 - October 03 2015 at 12:51am
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 1:37am
Try a different vender. There are certain stores that I won't buy fish from because they always die after a few weeks. I recommend aquatic dreams in Layton. A bit of a drive for you, but I've always had good success with their fish, especially tangs.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 8:29am
The LFS in Sandy, The Aquarium, is an excellent store and does not sell bad fish. I seriously doubt that's the reason for this string of "bad luck". Everything everyone above has mentioned is good but keeping a tank healthy is not like shooting in the dark. If we had more information we could really help resolve this specific issue:

- Please post a pic of the entire tank, a closer up pic of the rock and a pic of the sump and especially the Refugium if there is one.
- Also please give the actual Alk, Ca and Mg numbers.
- 80 degrees is too hot. I would guess that it rises over 80 on occasion, right? What is being done to lower the temp (fan over the top water, leaving cabinet doors open, etc.)?
- If the tank has been running for 5 years, when, if ever did it house Tangs or other large body fish for more than a few weeks?
- What kind of sicknesses has the tank/fish had in the past?
- What Garlic product is being used and how often?
- What kind of live algae is being provided, how much and how often?

That's enough questions for the moment. I'll probably have more after seeing the answers to the questions above. Wink

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S. Why did you choose the name Aloha007?

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 03 2015 at 8:39am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 10:37am
The water ranges , all, cal, Nit, mg are all good. Yes 80 is high and it does go up occasionally. We keep the doors and lid open through out the day as well as a fan . We also put a couple frozen bottles of RO water to the sump. We do not have another tank. It has been running for 5 years in a doctors office. We purchased it a couple months ago . We kept all the original Live rocks , sand and water. It came with one coral and a clown fish. Apparently he couldn't keep any of the tangs alive either. So the clown has the whole tank to himself for years. After we purchased it we added the other fish , 3 corals and Anenomes. They are all thriving and seem very happy and content. We can't seem to keep any Tangs alive though.

I can't seem to load any pics.

The tank is beautiful !

Lol, I didn't plan on choosing Aloha007, all the original user names I chose were all taken so I just added numbers to Aloha until one was ok.
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 10:39am
I use Garlic Extreme , it says 1 drop per 10 gallons but I don't use that much. No sicknesses in the tank that I know of, doc told us it's been a very healthy tank except for being able to keep Tangs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic