Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New from Lehi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IronMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from Lehi
    Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:20pm
Hello all,

I was introduced to this group when I went to the Reef Fest a couple weekends ago, and I just paid my dues and joined the group. 

I'm from Lehi and have been an avid reef tank enthusiast for quite a few years. I just recently came back to the hobby after I crashed my 75 gal (about 8 years ago) and vowed to not get back in until technology helped bridge the gap between my busy lifestyle and staying on top of a reef tank. I felt like it was time to dive back in so I built my own stand and canopy and purchased a 210 gal tank and have been going full steam on that for the last 3-4 months. So far, so good!

Looking forward to many more years in the hobby and learning from all of you folks here.

Thanks!
-Adam
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:30pm
Welcome Adam! What technology have you employed on this new system that you think will bridge that gap for you? How have you set it up and what areas were you having trouble with before that you think are solved now? Love getting information for all of our users and hobbyists.

Have you thought about starting a build thread to document your tank and it's progress?

Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:40pm
Hello Adam,

Welcome back! I'm newer, with only a year or so under my belt, but am fully addicted. I am right down the street, in American Fork, should you ever need help with anything. 

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 12:52pm
Welcome
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 2:02pm
Welcome Adam

You should share some pictures of what you have been working on. I enjoy seeing what others have been doing!
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 2:08pm
Welcome!!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
catchoftheday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catchoftheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 3:13pm
Welcome to the crazy house lol just playing look forward to seeing some pictures
I currently have a 24 gallon JBJ all in one tank has two powerheads a phosphate reactor with the small bubble skimmer it is also powered by 2 X165 W LEDs and as a mixed reef
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 6:34pm
Welcome and as others have said you should share your tank with us.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 7:09pm
Man, another Utah county guy! Welcome to the club!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:35pm
Hey folks, thanks for the welcome!

I'll start a build thread and post a bunch of pics. To the question about why I felt now was the time, I will answer with a bullet list of things that made now feel like the time to get back in:
  1. Income. Plain and simple, I could not afford to run a properly set up tank previously, and my attempts to cut corners directly led to many of my failures.
  2. Tank automation and monitoring. I saw that things like the Apex were now pretty mainstream, internet enabled and very expandable. I'm completely willing to do the needed work on a tank, what I wanted was some insurance and notification of exceptional conditions that I should be aware of. ATO systems that were more geared toward the consumer. I liked things like the Tunze system for being drop dead simple to keep working correctly and highly unlikely to do something horrible like fill your house with RODI water.
  3. LED lighting. The simplicity now in lighting was highly attractive.
  4. Progression of knowledge. Simply put, the amount of knowledge the average reefer has at their hands through forums and support groups like this is staggering. You still have to sort through it all, but the progression and availability has increased my chances for successful reef keeping (before I become knowledgeable myself)
Anyway, I know there are no silver bullets, but I think the general state of the tech in the hobby has dramatically moved forward and helps folks like me! Now the great experiment begins to see if the main thing that needed to progress had... which is me :-)

-Adam
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 2:23pm
Adam -

First off let me say Welcome to the Club Clap

I am also located in Lehi (out west, near the Smith's on Redwood Rd)... anytime you want to stop by and talk reef, just let me know.

This is a great club, with many resources and successful hobbyists here to help!

Let me just say I love your bullet points, especially # 1 (and if you think about it, #2 and #3 are really just a function of #1)

Somewhere in the quest to grow this hobby, somebody gave people the idea that this is a "cheap" hobby. It most certainly is not. The most frustrating thing for me is people trying to duplicate a $4K setup they saw in a store somewhere... on a $500 budget. Then falling far short, and wondering why?

Anyway, WELCOME TO WMAS... hope you enjoy your stay here Big smile
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 5:35pm
Wait, Bob, you got your set up done for only 4k?!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 5:51pm
Actually, mine is only about $3300 total. But keep in mind that I bought almost every single thing used.

Brand-new, it would be close to about $6500
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 9:59pm
Thank you all for the warm welcome and offers of help (I'm pretty certain I'll be cashing that chip in at some point! That means you, Bob and Marcoss LOL).

I did go ahead and start a build thread so you can see what I've been up to. Here is a link to it

Just finished all my testing for the day, textbook perfect readings on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, phosphate, ORP and salinity. So far so good! 

-Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic