Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom stand 210 gal build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
IronMonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom stand 210 gal build
    Posted: October 14 2015 at 2:29pm
So I'm taking the prompting and uploading some pictures and such to show my progress on my new tank build. I have been away for a long time and just now getting back in. I have had great support along the way by my LFS (didn't find them until I had purchased a bunch of equipment but now buy all through them because of the great support). I had a problem with the first tank, it started separating at one of the corners and my LFS quickly got it changed out and replaced with a much better tank.

On the stand, I went with Maple wood. I specifically made sure there were no braces or legs in the way of the bottom where all the gear is. Even later when you see the doors on, understand that the doors and their dividers all just unscrew and completely open the bottom area up. I can easily get a giant sump in and out of the storage area. It was my first stand I ever made but luckily it is pretty simple. I did make it considerably taller than many stands end up being because I really hate bending over to look at the tank :-)

I'll give information and such along the way with these pics, feel free to ask anything! Thanks for taking a look!

-Adam

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 4:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 2:35pm
Here are some more pictures showing the stand, sump and plumbing layout coming along. The entire bottom of the stand is waterproofed and sealed. It will hold about 30 gals of water before anything goes onto the floor.

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 4:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 3:06pm
And yet some more pics! these show the first tank that failed on first test fill. It was a marineland 220. Brad at The Aquarium ordered me a brand new Aqueon 210 and delivered it to me before marineland even agreed to warranty to one that failed. That was a level of service that I hadn't seen before.

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 4:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 7:53pm
I got smart(er) this time and got my own RODI system in place. On my previous tank, I can't tell you how often I missed water changes when they should have happened simply because I couldn't get water from the LFS. It also was horrible on stability because I didn't have good top off water. This way works WAY better!

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 4:08pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:16pm
Nice build! Welcome!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 4:17am
Really enjoyed this and am looking forward to the continuing saga. Nice job
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 8:24am
That is an impressive stand! Nicely documented.

What used to be in the IBC container? Looks dangerous! Ha.

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

What used to be in the IBC container? Looks dangerous! Ha.

It was originally used to ship grain alcohol. I probably overdid it, but I probably washed it and dried it at least 25 times. Lehi's water department probably came by to see if there was a city line leak LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 1:50pm
Here are some more pictures. This now shows the replacement tank with my initial aquascaping in it. This started being the part where I was getting excited and wanted fish ASAP LOL. 

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 4:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 4:04pm
I'm getting caught up to the current state of the this project! These are some of the pics from when I was laying out all the gear for it's permanent home in the stand. I tried to keep wiring and plumbing clean where possible. This was actually a really fun part of the build simply because I'm a bit of a fanatic around tech and gadgetry LOL!.

In case you are wondering why the returns make the dramatic 90 degree turns right before the sump... it was actually intentional to slow the water down and reduce the noise coming from the sump as the water hits it.

Edited by IronMonkey - October 15 2015 at 5:49pm
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 4:26pm
Looks good.  I have one suggestion on the ATO tank.  You will likely find that the 5 gallon jug doesn't last as long as you would like between refills.  I used to have a 5 gallon ATO tank on mine.  I'm much happier with 10 gallons.

A cheap solution (approx $30-35 on ebay) is a 10 gallon RV water storage tank.  It looks like there is enough room for it in the same spot, you would have to measure to be sure of course.  The tanks measure 9.5 X 14 x 17 inches tall.  The top of the tank is easily drilled to allow a opening big enough to work with.  I drilled an approx three inch circle in mine so a rubber disposal cover can be used as a lid.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 5:33pm
That suggestion definitely speaks to me! I have been thinking I need more capacity there for sure. I just found what you mention on ebay and am indeed going to order it. Thanks for the suggestion sir.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 5:44pm
Super slick!  You should be proud of that.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 8:30pm
Some of the final "build" elements coming together. This shows the mount I made for the UV light as well as the ventilation fans I added to the stand to keep air moving through it once the doors were hung in place.

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 11:54pm
What skimmer are you using

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:18am
The skimmer is a Vertex Alpha 200. That thing pulls so much crap out of the water (literally).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 8:30am
So, in my quest to simplify water changes, I built this little contraption this weekend. Started with a utility pump from Harbor Freight ($39.99) then spent another $35 on PVC fittings, and $22.00 on hose. The crazy valve switching do-hickey is so I don't have to switch lines or anything around between pumping in and pumping out water. I plan to now create a large incoming and outgoing reservoir so I'm not dealing with so many 5 gal jugs, but this worked very nicely even with all the jugs. I mixed up 5 5gal jugs of salt water and hd 5 waste jugs on hand. Once I started the process, it took about 8 minutes to change 25 gallons of water, and I didn't have a drop on the floor. Not too shabby I would say!

Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 8:35am
That is awesome! A great way to change water if you cannot have a mixing station near by.

So, that pump has to be plugged into a battery?

Does the pump just take the water to a sink?

Thanks!

Marcos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 8:41am
You can run the pump from a 12v car battery or a PSU. I just have a 20amp PSU that I connect the pump to for now until I finish building out the whole system. For this first iteration I just pump the waste water into jugs that I dump in a utility sink in the garage. 
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 8:48am
I'll have to pick your brain offline about this. I am tired of hauling the 45G Brute cans around. Its not bad to move them since they are on wheels, but they are a pain in the arse to dump. I get too lazy waiting for the pump to empty them so I kick them over and dump them out the quick way.

How far will that pump go in terms of feet? Seems like a really good price!

I Google'd a PSU, is that just a power bar?

Marcos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic