Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown Stuff
    Posted: October 19 2015 at 9:40pm
Can anyone tell me why I occasionally get this brown stuff in the same spot on my sand bed? 

Edited by Boston - October 19 2015 at 9:41pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:30pm
Lack of flow possibly. If it was my tank it would be the first thing I'd look at. I've gotten that before in dead spots. The tank was already cycled and it only appeared in the same spot and went away after it had flow. Or at least that's the only variable I think I changed.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:33pm
Looks like diatoms to me.

Typically they come at the end of the nitrogen cycle.

Pay attention to what you do before the out break occurs.

Some common items are filter changes. (Removing of good bacteria)

Silicate levels from using Water high In TDS (total dissolved solids)

Phosphate

To much light of the wrong type of lighting ( I doubt this is your problem )

What have you done recently?
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 11:22pm
I haven't changed anything and the tank is about two years old. It has a lot of flow, so I'm not sure why it develops it sometimes.
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 4:25pm
What do you do for filtration?
Also added nutrients will do this.

The Diatoms tend to show up at the end of the nitrogen cycle, so what is causing those areas of your tank to cycle (mini cycle)?

I used to see this in my tank when I would change filter media. As an example.

Dead spots in flow where nutrients gather will also cause this.
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 4:52pm
Also I would move the clam more away from the annamie

Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 5:01pm
My tank is the Red Sea Max S500 and the filtration is the standard sump. I do run a filter sock and the protein skimmer on the system. It seemed to do the same think around this time last year. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 11:50am
I agree with Marcoss. It's mostly flow related. Periodically moving the return nozzles changes the way the water flows. This a good standard procedure for every reef tank, to avoid dead(er) spots remaining too long in one area.

Marine animals that can't move, including Anemones that can move, produce toxins to keep their territory open. These toxins inhibit growth and sometimes kill other animals downstream, including the life in the sand. Redleader is right about the localized "minicycle"

The change that occurs in our aquariums as the seasons change (sunlight, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.) is actually a commonly understood influence on our aquariums. Most notable is the Cyanobacteria/slime algae that grows around the end of Spring/onset of Summer. Also, often noticeable is how sunlight influences the diurnal cycle of coral from a window on the other side of the room. Even indirect sunlight is more powerful than we realize. You may have noticed that coral start preparing for night after the sun sets, even when the tank lights remain on for several hours afterwards.

I agree with ctreeftank, that clam and the rock flower anemone are way too close to each other.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 12:59pm
Thanks Mark I got my tank up and going! So do you have any acan frags
Boston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 8:40am
Thanks Mark, I'll periodically move the nozzles around to change up the flow and to make sure i don't get any dead spots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic