Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I estimate pod population in my tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I estimate pod population in my tank?
    Posted: October 20 2015 at 5:40pm
I have had a couple of odd deaths of late in my tank.

I'm thinking that a low pod population may be to blame.

Any one have a way to estimate pod population, so I can find out if it is healthy or low.

I don't have a refugium, so I don't have a safe place for the to grow.

Any ideas here will be very helpful.

Thanks
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 8:07pm
What died? Which fish? 

You dont necessarily need a fuge to grow pods. 

J
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 8:41pm
over the course of 6 months I have lost:

Potters Angel
Flame Angel
Scooter bleny
Midas Blenny (jumped)
bi color blenny
another Potters Angel
Blue Lynkia star fish

Granted I have 2 Gold Stripe Maroon Clown fish (they me be cause of deaths)

I don't "see" any bugs, and I worry that the shape the tank was in when I got it, I may not have had a large population to begin with.

My fish appear healthy, and then "disapear" and a day or two later I will find the bones and half eaten remains of the fish.

The Gold Stripe Female is the queen of the tank, and she knows it.

150 G Reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 8:53pm
How old is the tank and how much rock do you have in it? 

How long do you have the fish generally before they die? 

Jumping fish would probably be because of clownfish (maybe) 

How often do you feed? 

J
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 9:46pm
I've had the tank one year. I bought it on ksl. So the tank is of unknown age. When I got it phosphates and hair algae where out of control. As well as bad cyano blooms.

The clowns I've had the entire time. And the other fish range from 1 week on the low end to 3 months on the high end

I feed frozen once a day

Thanks

55 gallon tank with about 60 pounds of live rock

150 G Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 10:55pm
Two things.
One- remove one gallon of water. Pour through filter bag. Count bugs from one gallon, then multiply by tank volume.

Two- but that's useless. Many photos of your tank, or someone to come check it out, that would be great.

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - October 20 2015 at 10:56pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 7:41am
Mantis shrimp hide well and can be nasty little creatures that could do just what you're talking about. I doubt it's due to the small bugs.

Just my thoughts.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 2:32pm
As far as Amphipods and Copepods, they are somewhat nocturnal, nighttime is the best time to see them. Look for them next to the glass at the sand. See the pics below.

Here is that fish list with a little information about each one:

Potters Angel  - An herbivore (algae eater) - doesn't really eat many "bugs" though in aquaria all Pygmy Angels learn to eat frozen meaty and dry processed foods
Flame Angel  - Another Pygmy Angel, again an herbivore
Scooter Blenny - Definitely a bug eater, but in anything less than a 75 gal tank will quickly deplete the bug population and starve, unless it learns to eat frozen meaty foods.
Midas Blenny (jumped) - jumping of this kind of fish is usually caused by lack of cover/hiding places. 
Bicolor Blenny  - very much an herbivore
another Potters Angel -  again...
Blue Linkia star fish  - Linkia Sea Stars rarely survive even 6 months in aquaria because of conditions and starvation. The hobby really does not have a good idea on how to keep these alive. Because of this we here in the WMAS generally try to talk people out of getting them.

Maroon Clownfish are very territorial, often claiming up to 100 gals of space for themselves. This territorial aggressiveness is influenced by their perception of the food supply. The food supply is not just "bugs", most commonly Amphipods and Copepods, but involves other forms of invertebrate life as well. A healthy tank should have several types of worms. If the tank is bare, meaning the LR has little growing on it and there is little algae and sponge on the rock, then that tank needs to be given the stuff that will make it healthier, more like the ocean environment it is supposed to replicate. If you would like some suggestions for making this tank healthier to stop the scourge of death, please post a pic, answers the questions asked above and hang in there. You're not alone. We've all gone through this.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Amphipod / Grammerus (maximum size 3/8")

Copepod (maximum size 1/16", usually smaller)

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 21 2015 at 2:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 2:37pm
Thanks Mark, I will post pictures, I greatly appreciate the input.

I won't be purchasing any more sand stars or Linkia stars for sure. 
I don't like it when things die on me.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 2:39pm
Here is a full tank shot from a week ago, I'll get some new close up pics of the rocks and so forth later as I can.

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 3:47pm
More tank pics:

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 3:48pm
More pics:

150 G Reef
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 3:49pm

150 G Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic