Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

300 Gallon Dart Frog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 Gallon Dart Frog
    Posted: November 13 2015 at 2:09pm
If this post needs to be moved to the off topic area feel free to move it.

I have been running a 300 gallon reef tank for a few years.  I decided to take it down but I didn't sell the tank.  

Over the past year I've come to really enjoy dart frogs.  In fact I was introduced to dart frogs at the 2014 reef fest you guys put on.  Tropicalecos were there and I got really interested.

So anyways, my reef tank is down (you can find the thread where I'm trying to sell my radions, skimmer, and reeflo pump in the for sale section) and I've started converting my 300 deep dimension tank into a paludarium.

For the water feature the plan is to create a large pond section on one side for discus, a waterfall that falls into the pond, and a stream that runs out of the pond, through the vivarium, and then back down into the sump underneath.

I'll be using cork and tree fern paneling for the background. Ghost wood and malaysian driftwood for the wood features (and to create random elevation for the frogs to climb).  And I'll figure out how to make the waterfall feature from scratch.  One requirement is that it needs to be as quiet as possible.

I haven't started buying plants but I will focus on flowering plants.  Besides that I'll do ferns, orchids, bromeliads, and random cool stuff I can find.

Humidity will be kept high from the water feature as well as a mist king misting system.  These will be controlled by my apex I had for the reef tank.

I will be building lids for the entire unit but including a space for some computer fans for ventilation, also controlled by the apex (have to figure that part out still but I think I know how I can do it).

Anyways, those are my thoughts on is so far.

Here is a picture of the tank while I'm getting ready to silicone in the pond section.

pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 8:15pm
Can't wait to see this thing progress! Are you going to run a simp for your water feature?   I run one dart tank with a trio of southern varabilias.   If you need some plants, hit me up, maybe we can work something out.
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
ctreeftank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctreeftank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 9:31pm
Why
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by pgravis pgravis wrote:

Can't wait to see this thing progress! Are you going to run a simp for your water feature?   I run one dart tank with a trio of southern varabilias.   If you need some plants, hit me up, maybe we can work something out.

I'm planning on running a sump.  I was thinking about pulling the misting water from it as well but I think I'll just pull the misting water from my top off water instead.  

You'll have to send me some good ideas for plants, I don't know much about which plants are cool.  Right now I'm going through the boards on different forums looking for flowering plants and getting the name so I can look them up.
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by ctreeftank ctreeftank wrote:

Why

why what?
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 1:07pm
I think you are smart to run the mister through your ato. No sense clogging it. Are you doing a mistking?    I also like the idea of the sump.   If you have a water feature, it makes so much more sense. Pump maintenance is easy, keeping it topped off will be no problem! I have names written down somewhere of what I have, I'll have to look for it and get some pics. B
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by pgravis pgravis wrote:

I think you are smart to run the mister through your ato. No sense clogging it. Are you doing a mistking?    I also like the idea of the sump.   If you have a water feature, it makes so much more sense. Pump maintenance is easy, keeping it topped off will be no problem! I have names written down somewhere of what I have, I'll have to look for it and get some pics. B

Ya, I think I'll do a mistking.  The pumps for those systems seem well priced but their nozzles are expensive.  I emailed them to seem how many I'd need and they said six.  At $14 each that adds up.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 4:08pm
Mist King is the best!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 12:47pm
This is awesome! I'll definitely be following this thread. I've been into darts for a couple years now, it's such a fun and rewarding hobby! I'm up to over 25 different species in the frog room and am constantly adding more. I've got an empty 210 that I'm going to be building very soon, I'm still in the planning phase but hope to start soon. 

As far as the sump goes, I would definitely do one. It will allow you to keep the water cleaner and the perameters in check much easier than one without. 

Mistking is the only way to go in my opinion. They make a top quality product and I never have to worry about it. I would definitely pull your misting water strait from the RO unit. If you pulled it from the sump your glass would most likely get dirty very fast and run the risk of clogging the nozzles. I run the advanced system and have over 20 nozzles attached independently through a manifold system. Even with the load that I run I still have plenty of pressure, and could easily double the amount of nozzles I currently run without a problem.

How much land vs water are you planning on having?

I wish you all the best on your build and look forward to seeing it come together. Let me know if you ever have any questions on anything!

Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 1:06pm
Wow, I always guessed that reefing and dart frogs were pretty close hobbies but it's really fun to see everyone posting.

The tank foot print is 6'x3'. The pond and water fall will take 2' of that front to back. The other four feet will be ground, minus the stream I plan to have running from the pond to the opposite corner where it will disappear under some Malaysian driftwood (where it will hit the overflow holes and drain into the sump).
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 1:08pm
Sounds great! Are you on dendroboard?
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 2:43pm
This sounds super awesome! I don't have any experience in this, but will certainly follow along. When I was younger I used to grow carnivorous plants. They had a very similar environment to what you describe above. Will you be growing any in your tank? I am not sure if they are harmful to the frogs, but they would likely grow and they are also flowering. The scale of your project has certainly brought back a desire to grow CP plants again!

Excited to follow this!

Marcos

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 11:05am
I am on Dendroboard, I usually post all my questions there haha.

I received a lot of the wood and cork I'll be using for the background.  I think I want a few more pieces of large ghost wood to give me more area off the floor for plants.

I recently figured out how I want to do my waterfall section but I need help finding the right stuff.  I want to find a medium size lava rock (12 to 15 inches) that has a cave in it.  I will drill from the back or bottom of the rock to the cave and install a connector.  To the connector I will attach a hose that will pump water into the cave, which will then make the water flow out into the pond section.  I will plant moss and ferns on top of the rock.  I think it would look awesome!  But finding that type of rock is proving challenging.  if you know of a good place for a rock like that please let me know.

Here is a picture of some of the cork and ghostwood I got.

Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 11:32am
So, I don't mean to derail the thread, because it's cool and I'm interested to see it go, but dart frogs are toxic, right? How do they spread their toxins?
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 11:36am
Only poisonous in the wild. They believe they get their toxin from their diet. In captivity they are harmless.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 1:15pm
I don't know if you're aware, but there is a great website that sells natural wood branches (ghost wood, manzanita, etc) for really cheap. 

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/branches2.html

all of their woods are untreated so theres no risk of toxins. 
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 1:43pm
Progress Update:

I have created what I'll be using as the waterfall fixture.  I used a few types of lava rock and pond foam sealant to create it.

When I tested it, water sprayed out way too fast even though I thought it was a slow pump.  To fix it I shoved a piece of filter sponge-foam stuff into the part where the tub connects to help disperse the pressure.  Once I did that it looked pretty cool.  I did find some leaks in the back that I had to fix.  Just waiting for the foam to finish curing to try again.

Anyways here are some pictures of the water fall feature as I was making it:

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 3:18pm
I can't wait to see this all put together!

Good luck and keep posting.
nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2016 at 5:40pm
Just posting an update picture that is really blurry (apparently I don't know how to take pictures....)

nrbelk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrbelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 8:49am
Picture Update.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic