Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I know if my blue linkia star fish is dead
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I know if my blue linkia star fish is dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I know if my blue linkia star fish is dead
    Posted: November 20 2015 at 10:42pm
Help !! I have a blue linkia star fish , he used to move around a lot and has now been in the same spot I the sand for 2 days. Brown stuff coming out of his mouth. Is he dead or dying? How can I tell? He stiffens up when I moved him to check out his underside. Just not moving . Doesn't look deflated , all water permit era are good. 180 gallon mature tank. Over 50 pounds of live rock

Edited by Aloha007 - November 21 2015 at 11:06am
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 11:11pm
Sounds like it is releasing waste. Generally when they start dying they tend to break down at the arms. I would just keep an eye on it. I'm sure others will chime in.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 11:27pm
Thank you. Is it normal for them to stay in the same spot for days when releasing waste
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 2:41am
I wouldn't think so for it to remain motionless for days. Tell is about your tank, hownlongnsetup, size, what else inhabits the tank and specific parameters alk, cal, mag, salinity, no3, po4, ammonia, nitrite.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 9:15am
When did you get the linka and how did you acclimate it to your tank? Starfish are very susceptible to PH, temp and ammonia shock and require different acclimation steps than most other tank animals.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 10:58am
You'll know it's dead if the clean up crew starts eating it. If they aren't touching it, then just leave it.
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 11:04am
Just found out he is definitely dead. The temp in my tank has been high for a couple days. I'm assuming this is the reason. Crabs have been picking at him. Also just noticed my protein skimmer isn't working properly. It's not filling up at all . I tried adjusting the levels . I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I absolutely love saltwater aquariums but it seems like it's always something. All our other fish, coral and cute critters seem to be doing well.
Aloha007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloha007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 11:05am
Unfortunately we also didn't acclimate him for as long as we should have.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 12:07pm
Reef aquariums can be frustrating at times and there is a lot to know to maintain a healthy tank. It may be that you didn't do anything wrong or couldn't have done anything different to change the outcome with this Sea Star.

On the other hand, it may be helpful to update your understanding on several points:
1. It's important to do research before buying any animal. In this case, Blue Linkia Sea Stars rarely last more than 6 months in aquariums. When they are hungry they move around a lot and when they have found food they move slowly, like less than 12"/day.

2. Linkia should never be lifted out of the water. 

3. Depending on the water the Sea Star was in at the LFS, a different acclimation procedure may be required. Long acclimation/drip acclimation is usually harmful, not helpful. Check the temperature and salinity of the water it was in versus where it's going. If it's close to the same, just do a 15 minute 3x exchange of water and move it into the new tank. Salinity/specific gravity changes are the most harmful to Sea Stars. Allow up to 45 minutes acclimation to Specific Gravity differences of .003 (1.023 -> 1.026).

4. Though 74-76 degrees is the ideal temperature for several reasons, temperatures anywhere between 70-80 are okay. Reef animals can handle temperature increases for a day up to as much 83 degrees.

5. Skimmers can't pull anything out when there isn't anything to pull out. Sometimes a temporary change in the surface chemistry of the water (look up "water surface chemistry"), like when a hand with oils, dirt etc. is dipped into the water, bubbles will not form and the skimmer will not collect anything until the chemistry returns to normal. Some animals give off chemicals that can stop bubbles from forming while other animals give off chemicals that cause massive foaming. Remember that a skimmer is not a necessity so don't worry if it slows or stops producing for a week or so.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 22 2015 at 12:55am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 12:30pm
I call them Sea Stars because they are not fish. Wink
If a Sea Star is wanted, try the Fromia Sea Stars. They are much hardier/live longer. There is a purple sea star that lives a little longer than the Blue Linkia. Red Knobby Sea Stars from Hawaii are large and do very well, but many of the other Knobby Stars, like the Chocolate Chip, eat coral.

Here is a Star I kept 10 years ago, an Orange Fromia I believe.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

This was a predatory Sea Star given to me by a friend. It lived just fine in this tank full of algae, where it received a piece of raw shimp from time to time. Smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 6:47pm
I didn't read above but I'll say "yes, it's dying"

Those stars are really difficult to keep alive.  I don't think I've ever owned one myself.  Just really difficult.  

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic