Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my anemone dying?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hottsauce23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hottsauce23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my anemone dying?
    Posted: November 23 2015 at 10:11pm
I am thinking my anemone is starting to die. When it is full size it is as big as a dinner plate. The past couple weeks it has not come out as much and gotten to its normal size. When it came out this evening i noticed many of its tentacles missing and some of them look like they have melted as you can see in the photos. The mouth of the anemone doesn't look abnormal in any way. I am wondering if my skunk cleaner shrimp is bothering it. I noticed this evening that it would go right up to it and it would start to close up. I have two other anemones in my tank which are doing great. I'm not sure what the deal is with this one. Any suggestions?

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 3:07am
Doesn't look good... Maybe just dying of old age. Keep you eye on it and watch your nitrate levels.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 7:37am
If it starts to deteriorate I'd recommend quickly getting it out.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 7:59am
A Shrimp can't cause that kind of damage. The anemone is not healthy and is overly sensitive to being walked on. 
Are all water parameters in range? Have they been stable for the last couple of months? Salinity(range 1.022-1.026), Temperature(70-80), Alkalinity(7-11 dKH), Calcium(350-500 ppm), and Nitrate (<30 ppm) are the most critical parameters that we have the ability to measure. 
Is AC being used?  Activated Carbon is a must for all reef aquariums.
Water changes?  10% monthly is good.
This anemone could be the first to go with the two other anemone's health soon failing if water quality is indeed poor and not improved soon. 
What other coral are in the tank? How are they looking?
Fish? I once had a Maroon Clownfish that was too rough with it's host anemone, causing the anemone to shrink and lose tentacles over time.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 24 2015 at 8:03am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hottsauce23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hottsauce23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 10:17am
I got my water tested just over a week ago and they said the nitrates were starting to get a little high. I ended up doing a water change. Everything else checks out fine. Maybe it is possible that one of my maroon clowns is too rough with it, although I haven't seen it do anything to it. I have a sump that I could maybe try and move it to if you think that would be a good idea. But it could also cause it unnecessary stress. What do you think? Thanks
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 8:55am
Yes, it will stress if moved.

We can't help much yet. To say that parameters are fine is not enough for us to go on. To say that the Nitrate level was getting high is too vague. A water change does not do much for Nitrate pollution, unless it was a 50% water change. But that does not solve the problem, the source of Nitrate. We can't help solve the problem without knowing the actual numbers:
 Salinity
 Temp
 Alk
 Ca
 NO3

So there are Maroon Clowns. Smile What does the aquarium look like? Please show a full tank pic. Not the stand, just the full tank. 
To help us help you, please answer the questions below:
Is AC (Activated Carbon) being used?
Water change frequency and amounts?
What fish are in this tank?
What other coral are in the tank? 
How are they looking?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply