Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Impeller pump lube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impeller pump lube
    Posted: December 18 2015 at 6:29pm
Does anyone use lube on the in water return pump empeller? I cleaned my pump and it's noisy? I've heard of vasaline, and also silicone grease. Any direction would be appreciated. .
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 6:34pm
I wouldn't use either one of those. They are both petroleum based products and are not helpful to the life we have in our tanks. All of the pumps that I have recommend putting nothing on it after cleaning and just to get it back in use so that the metal shaft doesn't have a chance to rust.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 9:07pm
I'd agree. The only thing I'd use as a lubricant would be the silicone lube used in scuba regulators.
1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 10:24pm
Thanks, I appecaite the help. I assume over the next week or so it will build up slime and quiet down.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 10:35pm
If it's a maxi jet there are ways to help make it more quiet.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 7:21am
Super glue the impeller to the shaft. If it's restricted at all it causes the impeller to bounce back and forth making noise. This is my experience with impellers and pumps.

Edited by Reefer4Ever - December 19 2015 at 9:05am
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 10:20am
It depends on the pump as to what I do. Gluing the impeller to the shaft sometimes works with some models, but in other models it's not possible. The only parts I lube are the o-rings with a silicon lube.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 8:27am
Most impellers are supposed to spin freely on the ceramic/stainless steel shaft. ~90% of pump problems are related to bad impellers. Replacing the impeller is the solution.

Impellers get out of balance due to wear and swelling. Yes, the magnet swells causing the impeller to expand out of it's correct shape.  The magnet can swell in three ways. It can swell on the outside, in extreme cases causing it to rub on the housing while it turns, it can swell at the end putting the blades/needles out of line with the magnet and it can swell inside causing friction/binding on the shaft. 

1. Hold the impeller up to the light and sight along the length on all sides of the impeller to see if is a perfect cylinder or not. 
2. Then hold the axle post between 2 fingers and spin the impeller to see if it spins freely/smoothly or not. 
3. With the impeller spinning between your fingers, check carefully for the ever so slight wobbling that indicates misalignment of the magnet and blade/needle head.
4. With a finger, check inside surfaces of the housing for wear and scoring. It should be completely smooth and straight. Sometimes the housing swells.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic