Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tim's 65 Gallon Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tim's 65 Gallon Build!
    Posted: December 31 2015 at 9:33pm
Well, after 5 years of planning on setting up a bigger tank, it's finally happening! I spent my last afternoon of 2015 working on the frame for my stand. Here are a few pictures of my progress.

Here is the top and bottom of the stand.

The sides of the stand have been glued and clamped. Good thing I had a bucket of Utah Rock to weigh it down so that the middle doesn't bow.

Here's the empty tank sitting in my basement. I'm hoping to have time to replace the bulkheads this weekend.

All of the left over equipment from my old 125 gallon. Hopefully everything still works...

And of course, curing live rock.

This guy's really anxious for his new digs to be ready. He's been in the neglected nanocube for the past 5 years and he recently lost his long-time roommate, a black clown goby... RIP Gobes.

Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 10:16pm
Tis the season for new tank setup. Keep us posted with the progress.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:26pm
It's time for a quick update.

Here's the stand frame:

Here's a close up on the corners of the frame. I started by putting a notch in the 2x4s so they fit around the top and bottom. Then I added a second 2x4 to the corner for extra strength... It's probably overkill, but 2x4s are cheap and it really didn't add much extra weight:

The last thing I did this evening was attach the first side. I'll let it sit over night so that the glue has time to dry, then I'll attach the other side tomorrow:

I'm hoping to have the sides and front finished by this weekend so that I can start on molding and the door.

Then we'll be onto the real question... Which color? White (Superwoman's vote), natural (my vote), black (Superboy #1's vote), or every color (Superboy #2's vote).

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Tis the season for new tank setup. Keep us posted with the progress.

Will do! I'm excited to be back. I've been away for far too long!

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:29pm
5 years!!!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

5 years!!!

Adam

It hasn't been 5 years, it's only been like 4 3/4 And I've kept my happy clown alive in a 6 gal nano cube the entire time (officially my longest fish success story).

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:33am
I wish I was handy with a saw like that.  I tried to build a stand once, we turned it into fire wood.  

Edited by Chevmaro - January 06 2016 at 8:40am
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 9:25am
Cool!
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

I wish I was handy with a saw like that.  I tried to build a stand once, we turned it into fire wood.  

I did a real LOL. I pictured my wife trying to get the dog bed I built into our gas fireplace... I am surprised I didn't drill through my finger building the stupid thing. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

Youtube and Home Depot books taught me everything I know (and maybe that summer I spent in construction). I'm by no means a Dion Richins (his stands are amazing!), but I know enough, from making a lot of mistakes, to make a cool thing every now and then.   

Plus, I have found that after spending days working on a computer and getting frustrated with underperforming employees, cutting a few boards and pounding a few nails can be cathartic.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 9:51pm
It's time for another status update. The stand build is going a bit slower than I'd like (stupid work keeping me too busy), but I'm really happy with how it's turning out. Here are a few pictures from the past few days:

I finished added both sides late last week. I started off this week by adding the different front panels:

Here's a close up to show the nice rounded corners. You can also see that I have my fair share of wood filler and sanding ahead of me.

Here is the full stand. All of the panels have been added.

The next step is going to be building the molding to go around the top and the bottom and then I'll be onto the door. After that it will be time to start figuring out what style of canopy I want to build.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 2:46am
Cool!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 11:03am
No really an update. I just looked at this thread on my computer at work and the pictures looked way darker than they did on my home computer, so I snapped a daylight photo this morning.

I'm hoping to make some major progress this weekend.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 8:54pm
Second status update of the day!

This evening, I added the molding to the base of the stand and I added the floor for the sump:

Here is a close up on the corner. The molding has a nice 1/4 round corner.

This piece had some killer grain and knots in it. I think I'm going to have to go with a natural finish. It's too beautiful to hide it with paint.

Remember that one time I added extra 2x4s for more strength? I'm now wondering if that was a good decision... This thing weights a TON!

This evening I'm cleaning up an old 20 gal that I have. I'm going to use it to start curing some of my dry Utah Rock. I'm also going to start growing some cheato in it.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 5:38pm
It's time for another quick update. I'm not progressing as quickly as I'd like, stupid back to back business trips getting in the way of the important stuff

The stand is basically built now, I just need to sand and finish it.   Over the weekend I built the doors for it. I wanted to go with a raised panel, but couldn't bring myself to buy the necessary router bits, so flat panels will have to do. I think they'll look good once the edges have been routed and they have a finish on them.

Here's one of the doors. I had to make them one at a time since I didn't have enough clamps:

Here's a quick look at how I built the joints. They need a little wood filler and sanding, but should look nice. I believe this is called a dado joint (I could be wrong, it's been 20 years since I took wood shop).

And a top look at the joint.

Once the stand is finished, I'm thinking I'll fill it with water and start seeding my dead Utah Rock while I work on the canopy. At my current pace, it will have several weeks to allow bugs to grow without any predators around. I'll also get some chaeto growing in my sump.

Oh yeah, one more important reason why I haven't had much time to work on my stand I'd like to claim I built this as well, but honestly, Superwoman is doing all the work

Edited by superman1981 - February 02 2016 at 12:11am

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 6:42pm
Congrats on the wee one on the way.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 7:06am
That's two club members with sharks in the pod. It must be contagious!

Nice work on the stand. Your door joint is called a dado joint. Good memory. You can make a pseudo raised panel with a couple of common moldings and a piece of 1/4" ply glued to the flat panel in your door. No need to buy those expensive router bits.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

That's two club members with sharks in the pod. It must be contagious!

Nice work on the stand. Your door joint is called a dado joint. Good memory. You can make a pseudo raised panel with a couple of common moldings and a piece of 1/4" ply glued to the flat panel in your door. No need to buy those expensive router bits.

Great suggestion, Krazie! I'm still in a debate whether to paint the stand or to stain it. If I paint it, I may create some pseudo raised panels. If I stain it, I'll probably stick with what I have.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

Congrats on the wee one on the way.

Thanks, Reefer! We're pretty excited to add another Superboy (or girl... I'm just not convinced we can make girls...)

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 6:53pm

I'm convinced I can only make girls lol. We are 11 weeks today yay!

Edited by Reefer4Ever - February 02 2016 at 6:53pm
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic