Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tim's 65 Gallon Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

I'm convinced I can only make girls lol. We are 11 weeks today yay!

Well congrats to you! We're only 2 weeks ahead of you, and since I only make boys and you only make girls, we should work out some type of swap... If I can get a girl, we're done, if not #4 is probably only 2 years away
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 9:26pm
Wow, it has been nearly a month since my last update. Unfortunately, things aren't going as fast as I'd like, but here are a few pictures of my stand and... wait for it... wait for it... canopy build! Yes I have started the canopy.

Sorry that this one is so dark, but you can see the stand, the doors which need to be sanded and attached, and the frame of the canopy on top.

Here is a close up of the canopy frame. I put a shelf in the back to hold the ballasts for my MHs, power strip, and light timers.

I'm hoping that I'll have time this weekend to build the door for the front of the canopy. I'm going to design it so that the entire front lifts open.

Edited by superman1981 - March 01 2016 at 9:27pm

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2016 at 12:32am
Simply put, life has been crazy. Hence the reason I haven't posted since March...
But, one job change, several minor remodel projects in preparation for SuperBoy #3, and a "fun" semester as an adjunct professor with way too much grading, I'm finally back on track!

Nothing too exciting has happened on the stand beyond wood filler and sanding. So, today's pictures are of some curing live rock in preparation for the tank setup. Here are few pictures of my temporary setup I put together this evening.

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 12:35am
Tonight was a good night. I probably made the most progress I have made in months. While the stand has been sitting with no work being done, a couple of the seams separated slightly. Good thing this happened while it was still in the garage and not setup in the basement with 65 gallons of water sitting on top of it

So I had to glue, reclamp, and reinforce some areas:

Where possible, I used also used screws (yay, more holes to fill ). Where screws weren't possible, I used brackets:

Then, after consulting with Dion (last week) I filled those tough cracks with Bondo:

Assuming the Bondo holds, I should be sanding in a few days... Then I'll probably have to refill holes one more time, sand again, and then I'll be ready for grain sealer and painting!

Over the past few days, I have picked up rock from several members to add to my 20g "curing" tank. I say "curing" because the rock is either cured and full of life, or pretty much dead and starting over. This evening I picked up some from a member who's parting out and it had a few nice frags stuck to it. I was going to put it in my nano, but couldn't get it to fit. Since I'd hate to lose those frags, my evening turned into... DIY time!

Here is my DIY pendant light built from scraps in the garage:

And here it is, lighting the tank in all it's glory!

Assuming I can keep up this pace, I might actually have my tank set up by Christmas

Edited by superman1981 - July 20 2016 at 12:41am

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 10:09pm
Nice project. I can't wait to see it all together.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 1:50am
doesn't hurt to take it slow :) get it how you want it from the get go!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 9:59pm
Thanks for the comments MadReefer & Phys. It has been a fun project... I just wish I could move it from project status to full of water status, but life has gotten in the way.

Now that the weather is cooling down & the yard is mostly under control, I should be able to get this thing up and running. I have to set it up before the snow or I won't be able to park my car in the garage

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 7:56am
I hear you! It look me a yr to get my 180 up and running. Looks like you've got a jump on it though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic