Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New from eagle mountain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nanu'sReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanu'sReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from eagle mountain
    Posted: January 05 2016 at 9:24pm
Hello I'm just getting into the reefing hobby and have slowly been purchasing my equipment. I have finally got everything needed to start cycling (once my final order arrives). My built is a 20 gal long with a 10 gal sump.   

I still need to paint my stand and put the doors on it.

Anyways can't wait to get the cycling going.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 9:37pm
Nice start! Welcome to the forum!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 9:52pm
Welcome to this addiction! I live in Saratoga, but my tanks are in AF.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:30pm
Very cool!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
PharmaSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PharmaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:41pm
Welcome!
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 7:20am
Welcome! Here's to many years of Krazieness in the hobby. Can't wait to see your build thread with pictures. Let us know if you have any questions as I'm sure there is someone here that has had that question before or experienced the same things you might run into.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 7:43am

Andrew, 

Welcome to the WMAS. I looked at your OP and was about to pass it over, but then I thought. What if Andrew finds out about this later and then we meet and he says to me, "Why didn't you tell me about this when I first introduced myself and talked about cycling my tank?"
I feel the info in that link is so important that I have put it in the signature line of all my posts since we started this forum in 2002. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P, S.
So, why is cycling a new tank still discussed in the hobby. I'm pretty certain it's because better than 80% of hobbyists keep their one single reef aquarium for less than 2 years. They've already decided to get out of the hobby when they learn, if they ever learn, how to do it simpler and better. It also may be that there are are a few experienced hobbyists here on this forum and elsewhere that have grown tired of trying to educate every new hobbyist that thinks their internet research led them to the full truth about reefkeeping. Does that sound like a jab? Well, I guess it is. I'm one tired, old, grouchy hobbyist, still trying to be helpful. Wink

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 06 2016 at 7:55am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 9:23am
Welcome! you'll find there is more than 1 way to do things in the hobby. And this is a good place to get different ideas and options to find one that works for you.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 10:05am
Good to have you on the forum. We have a frag fest tomorrow in SLC. Details are on the main site page. Come by, talk reef, meet people and buy some very inexpensive frags to fill that tank up.

Fat
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 10:10am
I agree with Hogie, but will add that because Mother Nature is very forgiving, there are ways that can work, ways that are okay. Then there are ways that are better and some that are simply the best for almost every situation. It's a matter of learning how to work with Mother Nature using the biological concepts that can allow a reef aquarium to be running with coral and fish in a week. Granted this is something that I have learned in 25 years in this hobby, but that's why I created the thread, to share the knowledge. Of course a week is only the start. The tank still needs time to settle in but if it can be started in a week and the family can enjoy some coral and a fish, why wait for 2 months? If you want more evidence, read this thread by another old timer (but not cranky) member of the WMAS:
The BobsReef Method of having a nice reef, quickly Smile http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66673

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
That's all I have to say about that.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 10:29am

Welcome Nanu!

I just want to throw this out there.  I just recently started up a reef tank after being away for a couple years.  I finally bought a home, no more moving and decided to get another tank as we are now in a permanent residence.

Anyway, I seem to have forgotten most of what I learned from years before.  I have learned recently how to not start a new tank.  I did just like you, started a tank with all dry rock and let it cycle for 6 weeks before adding fish.  While the tank cycled fine and fish were introduced slowly, healthy and happy, the tank really did not flourish how I wanted it to.  Dry rock takes a very long time to cure in a new tank.  I had all kinds of algae blooms for the first 3 months.  In short, the tank looked like crap.  I think this method will work fine in the long run.  If you want a nice tank from the start I would suggest live rock.  You could buy all live rock for a tank that size and it wouldn't be that expensive.  

If you decide not to use live rock, be patient and keep the lights off for the first month.  I am in month 6 of starting my tank and I am now just starting to see coraline algae growing.  It cost me a lot of phosguard, purigen and a few fistfuls of my hair.

You should start a build thread in the tank thread forum.  Good place to ask questions if you need help.  Looks like you are off to a good start, have fun and good luck.

Nanu'sReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanu'sReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 8:56pm
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advise. I will be starting a build thread shortly and hope to post lots of pictures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic