Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing and matching clowns.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing and matching clowns.
    Posted: January 13 2016 at 10:17pm
I know that generally you only want to keep one pair of clowns in your tank. My question is, does the pair need to be the same species or can you mix an match? Currently I have an ocellaris in my nano cube. He's been around for over 5 years, so I don't want to do anything that's bad for him. I could just buy another ocellaris to hang out with him and be good, but I really want a tomato clown.

Can I keep one ocellaris and one tomato or are they just going to fight?

I'm assuming 2 tomatoes and 2 ocellaris in a 65 gal would be an all out brawl, right? I used to have 2 black ocellaris and 2 orange ocellaris in my old 125 and never had much of a problem, but it was a pretty big tank. The new one, not so much.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 12:06am
I believe the tomato would end up beating the crap out of the ocellaris... Attack of the killer tomato... Clown.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 5:49am

Different color morphs of same species would probably be okay, mixing different species is really asking for a battle royale.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 9:53am
Perc and Occ and Skunks are okay together. Maroons, Tomatoes, Clarkiis etc are not. Sometime they arent even okay with 2 of the same kind. 

Color doesnt matter (they arent raciest). The thing you want to watch out for is food, and size of tank. If you feed lots you can always ad more. If you feed not often they will get hangery and start to fight, kinda like my kids... 

J
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 11:00am
Thanks for confirming what I figured was the case. I guess I'll just have to setup 2 tanks :)

(just don't tell Superwoman, she's already rolling her eyes about the current tank project)
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic