Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cadlights 42 Versa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cadlights 42 Versa
    Posted: January 16 2016 at 1:42am
Thanks to a whole lot of people and tons of good advice (mostly from this forum). I have my first SW tank up and going and was able to cut my cycle process down to a week. And there is actually some life in my tank! ClapClap

I will try and update it in here as much as i can because i know i'm going to need more help. 

Here she is!

And my first fish, Love this Two Spot Goby.

Edited by scfurse77 - April 05 2016 at 3:06pm
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 2:32am
Looking good man! That is a cool goby where did you pick him up?
90 gallon mixed reef
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Reefboy4life Reefboy4life wrote:

Looking good man! That is a cool goby where did you pick him up?

Thanks, He came from Reef On in Midvale. I'd never seen one before so since it's suggested to make a Goby one of your first fish, I couldn't pass on that guy. 
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 11:02am
Nice find!
ratherBreefing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ratherBreefing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 8:22pm
That is some awesome rock work!!! Looks great!!! Did you buy that twin spot yesterday? I was in Reef On yesterday and was very much tempted by that twin spot.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 9:59pm
I really like the rock work! Is that macro algae right in the front? I would get a light and move it to the sump but other than that it's looking awesome:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by ratherBreefing ratherBreefing wrote:

That is some awesome rock work!!! Looks great!!! Did you buy that twin spot yesterday? I was in Reef On yesterday and was very much tempted by that twin spot.

Yeah, Thanks for not buying it. He looks good in my tank. Big smile
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I really like the rock work! Is that macro algae right in the front? I would get a light and move it to the sump but other than that it's looking awesome:)

Yeah, that's exactly what i did tonight. I just wanted it in there for a few days to help pick up some gunk. it's in the sump now. 
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 3:04pm
Thought I'd show a few pics of the tank that i took last week. It's been up and running for about 10 weeks. So it's nothing special yet. But i think it's on it's way.

CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 3:17pm
Looks great man! Excited to see how it develops. 
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 3:59pm
Thanks man, If it turns out good i'll get us matching hats WinkBig smile
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 5:29pm
Looks awesome! I need to get some of those corals you have.
Here we go again
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 6:02pm
As long as they are these hats...

Edited by Marcoss - March 21 2016 at 6:03pm
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 6:04pm
Looking good!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 11:46pm
[QUOTE=Marcoss]As long as they are these hats...

YEEEESSSSSS! Amazing. Clap
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 3:19pm
Quick update, i thought that i would post this just in case other have the same problems:

I'll post some pics here in a few weeks once i get everything back in order. I have a had a few issues lately. But this is all a learning process for me.

The Bad News: The awesome Duncans that are pictured above have died, It was one of the best corals i had in my tank and was pretty much opened up 24-7 but a few weeks ago it was on a slow decline and i read and researched about it and what i got out of the research was. "They tend to do that and just wait a few weeks and they will recover". But once i was down to 2 heads left that hadn't died yet i saw that right at the base of the duncan was Aiptasia, just a very small piece of it. But you could see where it had stung the base of the duncan and the whole back half of the base had been eaten away. "it was facing away from the front of tank that's why i didnt see it sooner" So the plan was to pull it out the next day and cut off what was still alive and try to save it. But the next morning the other 2 were goners. Moral of the story was "Screw Aiptasia". And since i have boiled the rock and put it back in the sump :(

Good News: I thought the whole time that the reason that i couldn't keep any SPS alive was because of the "new tank stuff" anyways i am sure that the tank being new had a little bit to do with it. But there are 2 guys on here i have to thank for an easy fix. Marcoss & neurotivity. Both of these guys mentioned FLOW as a possible culprit. I had the flow of my return pump along with a Hydor Koralia 850 GPH. The Hydor was placed on the backside of my corner overflow facing up towards the surface. Anyways i tried moving it around to a bunch of different locations with the same results. Which was Dying SPS. i couldn't even keep the Birdsnest alive.
I took out the Hydor and replaced it with a Jebao PP/RW-4. This thing was half the size of the Hydor and i thought there was no way it would help much if any. There was one piece of SPS that hadn't completely died off yet before i installed the RW-4 it's just a small frag of Green Spongodes and i had never even seen the polyps open up on it at all, not even when it was fresh into the tank and the bottom half had died off within a month and was completely white.
So not even 2 days after i installed the new pump, i started seeing the polyps come to life with the Spongodes and it's been a couple of weeks and i can already see it starting to grow and color back up. Anyways if you can't tell i am pretty excited to see that i can actually grow SPS now. :) I will try and post some pics of the Spongodes recovery.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 4:28pm
I'm sure the flow probably helped but it probably also helps that your tank is a bit older now as well. I have the exact same tank as you know and it's chalk full of coral from the beginning as I moved all my stuff from my larger tank. I was only using my return pump for flow while I had all my SPS and they all looked amazing I only sold most of it as it's not my favorite because I like the movement LPS provides. I added my powerhead which is the same as yours an RW-4 to the tank only because I have so many large colonies I was getting some algae I didn't like in certain places and felt it needed more flow. I'm not sure which return pump you went with and maybe mine is a lot more powerful but I wouldn't attribute it just to more water movement, it helps yes but I am sure as your tank matures things will get a lot better and easier to keep.
Jackie Stuver

scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I'm sure the flow probably helped but it probably also helps that your tank is a bit older now as well. I have the exact same tank as you know and it's chalk full of coral from the beginning as I moved all my stuff from my larger tank. I was only using my return pump for flow while I had all my SPS and they all looked amazing I only sold most of it as it's not my favorite because I like the movement LPS provides. I added my powerhead which is the same as yours an RW-4 to the tank only because I have so many large colonies I was getting some algae I didn't like in certain places and felt it needed more flow. I'm not sure which return pump you went with and maybe mine is a lot more powerful but I wouldn't attribute it just to more water movement, it helps yes but I am sure as your tank matures things will get a lot better and easier to keep.

I am just using the return pump that came with the tank. It's pretty weak. it basically just pumps in clean water and thats about it. Smile

Edited by scfurse77 - April 14 2016 at 6:02pm
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 6:09pm
Here is the picture of the Spongodes as it sits now, Last week, all but that top section was white. So it's slowly coming back. I agree with you jackie about the newness of the tank. But i think it was a combination of the two things. I had never seen polyps on this thing at all until 2 days after i had changed the flow. And this is defiantly not the only coral I've noticed a change in since. My Acan's are doing a lot better as are my Candy Canes. I'll post another pic of this same shot in a few weeks and hopefully they'll be some more noticeable progression. 

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 7:02pm
Yeah if you were just using the pump that it came with you definitely needed more flow.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic