Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Time Reef!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Time Reef!
    Posted: January 16 2016 at 1:48pm
Hello I'm so excited to get into the Hobby of Saltwater aquariums! I've done freshwater for most my life and I am wanting to expand my knowledge! I plan to do a 60 Gallon Cube reef tank for my first one (recommend by a friend) One of my first questions that I have is I would like your opinion on a Skimmer. The tank holds 60gal and my sump will hold about 25gal. (Trigger Systems Ruby Cube 20) The skimmer I'm looking at (and recommend by Bulk Reef Supply) is between the Vertex Omega 150 and also the Vertex Omega 130 (open to other recommendations.) Being that I am new to the Saltwater hobby and I want less maintenance is it better to get the 150 or am I wasting my money and the 130 will be just fine? I would say I plan to have a medium stocked tank with fish, again being a reef tank with easy to keep corals (soft, Mushrooms, etc.) Any other information you would like to give me would be very nice! Thanks!

Edited by kmtfishchannel - January 16 2016 at 2:29pm
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 2:34pm
Welcome! Great skimmer. You can keep an eye out on forum too for a good used one. You will have some time before the tank cycles and you really need it.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 3:12pm
I have the Vertex 130 on a 70G tank. It's very lightly stocked; four smaller fish. It works perfectly for me and I have no complaints. It works just as good as my larger Aquamaxx but half the price.

Welcome!

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by kmtfishchannel kmtfishchannel wrote:

Being that I am new to the Saltwater hobby and I want less maintenance is it better to get the 150 or am I wasting my money ?
Any other information you would like to give me would be very nice! Thanks!
I'll be frank, I always am, if you are truly looking for less maintenance, a skimmer is money spent on more maintenance, not less. See below for why I say that. There are so many places in this hobby that want your money. If you want reefkeeping information untainted by the desire for money, always look to the WMAS. Perhaps you'll feel like coming to the informative monthly meetings. They are free to all 

The reef aquarium described above, growing soft coral does not require a skimmer. It's not about the equipment, it's about the biology. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Not only does the marketing hype in this industry insist on skimmers, but there are few who have ever kept a reef tank without a skimmer.  They don't know how. I on the other hand have kept dozens of nice reef tanks without a skimmer. Remember, "...a reef tank with easy to keep corals (soft, Mushrooms, etc.)" is the type of tank that will do perfectly fine without a skimmer. Make sure Activated Carbon(AC) is used and grow Macroalgae in a Refugium or in the display, or both. AC is essential for all reef tanks to remove toxins and algae is the basis of all life on earth. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 17 2016 at 1:23am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 9:41pm
You will find differing opinions on to skim or not to skim. I skim. For me a skimmer is an essential piece of equipment. Not sure about the ones you're looking at but I'd look for three things:
1) correct size for the tank. Going bigger isn't a bad tbing if you ever think you'll want a bigger tank.
2) dependable pump, some of the older or cheaper pumps have trouble starting after a stop.
3) if I were doing it again I'd look for one with a DC pump. Much quieter.

Fat

Edited by Fatman - January 16 2016 at 9:42pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2016 at 9:47pm
I also would use a skimmer especially on a tank that size. You will find that Mark is a bit more old school on his thinking and that's great but a lot of us don't always agree with his assessments. Read up and form your own opinion:)
I don't know much on the skimmers that you are looking at but I always shoot for a skimmer that is rated for more than what my total volume is.
Welcome to the hobby and have fun!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 8:28pm
I agree with Mark. But it really depends on what you want. I've had success with very light to no skimming growing all types of corals. Although I am not an expert, it seems that sometimes a skimmer will take coral food out of the water and slow down overall growth. Other systems will fail without a skimmer. It is all about finding a balance that works for you and system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic