Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powerhead help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SFReef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powerhead help
    Posted: February 08 2016 at 7:57am
I am looking for some advice on what type of powerhead/powerheads to get for my 40 gallon breeder that I am setting up.  It will be my main display and will have sand, etc.  I don't want dead spots but also don't want the sand blown around.  What are the favorites and what would be good for this size tank?  I need help in deciding what type of powerhead/powerheads to get, how many, and where to place them.

Thank you for your help.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 8:38am
I put two Jabao RW-4 power heads in my 40g breeder and love the movement of water. The control of the flow and direction is great on these pumps. You will have to work with the placement a little because they can stir up the sand. I put mine low in the tank and point them at the top corner on teh opposite side of the tank.

Hope that helps. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 9:21am
I second the RW-4's 

They're awesome, have lots of power thats adjustable, they're small, and they're inexpensive. Get them on amazon.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2016 at 11:57am
I have spent 20 years in this hobby working on how to get the best flow for the lowest cost. I developed the very efficient method of placing the powerhead down low shooting up. In my last coral farm, I've done 4 of them, I grew all kinds of coral with one awesome $20 Maxijet 1200. I placed one in each of my 40 gal breeder tanks when I was doing MarksReef Coral Farm. The pics showing placement are here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71912
The powerheads can be hidden behind a couple rocks, pushed back in the corner and leaned diagonally forward. Nobody sees them in the tank I set up and take care of for a friend. Smile See the pic below.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic