Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ich?? Help???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ich?? Help???
    Posted: February 11 2016 at 9:04pm
I'm pretty sure that this is Ich, Am i right? This is the best picture i could get. He's a little camera shy. Anyways, today is the first day i noticed this. What should i do? My other fish don't seem to have any sign of this either. This Tang has been in my tank for about 4 weeks is all

Edited by scfurse77 - February 11 2016 at 9:14pm
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 9:11pm
If you can get it out to quarantine it that would be best.  if you can't then try and make sure it is eating well and fed well and hope for the best. Polyp labs just released a new product that is supposed to cure ich in the tank so you may want to try that. No other cures that I know of while it's in a reef.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 9:13pm
Yeah he would be tough to get out. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start feeding with a little more garlic, Do you think a parasite eating fish would help?
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 9:52pm
I've found garlic to help strengthen a fish's chance for survival. Its no cure all, not even close... but it helps often.

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 10:08pm
Thanks Troy, I put some garlic guard in his frozen food tonight and also he's been getting some algae on his clip about about once a week that already has garlic added. I think i'm going to start feeding him the garlic algae daily for the next little bit. He's still eating like a beast and doesn't act sick. So wish me luck! Confused
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 7:09am
Is that a Scopus Tang? 
Does the tank still have a bunch of Caulerpa for grazing? 
Is Romaine Lettuce being offered along with the Nori? 
No, a parasite eating fish (Cleaner Wrasse) will not help, but will probably hurt.
What fish are currently in the tank?

I believe that Garlic Guard and the Nori algae with Garlic are not working. If they were working, Ich would not have appeared and upon first use would have disappeared within 2 days. It will not help to use more of the same. Instead, get another Garlic, ASAP. I have the kind that works best in most tanks. Contact me at 808-345-1049

I believe you know of this method of Ich Treatment that has worked for me for over 10 years. I'm posting it here for anyone reading this that has not yet studied the Reefkeeping Tips:

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
This is the same tank where a Clownfish was recently lost to a possible parasite. It would be wise not to add any more fish for a couple weeks and be sure to add more live things now (Sponge, Algae, Coral) that will help the environment grow more healthy. The introduction of other organisms and waiting for their growth to improve the environment is, to the new hobbyist, an unseen condition that we call tank maturity. This may appear to some people like the tank is dirty/messy but, in fact it is that random growth of a variety of life that allows everything to do much better long term. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 7:14am
I use Kents Garlic extreme. Probably overkill in terms of costs, but its worked for years in my large tank and I know I have Ich waiting to explode. So I don't change because when something works, you should stick with it. Every time I run out and get lazy and forgetful, the ich seems to reappear. I agree with Mark that having it in their diet seems to keep their immune systems stronger. It doesn't make the ich go away per-say, it just helps them combat it. I'm a firm believer that putting a few drops in their food consistently is the best plan of action. Also agree that you should get it under control before adding more fish. 
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 7:37pm
Ich looks a lot better today. It's almost gone. There are just a few specs left on him. It's a mimic tang mark.  Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm definitely feeling much better about my situation today. There is plenty of algae and diatoms on the rocks for him to eat as well. For now the Garlic Guard seems to be working along with Garlic Algae he's been eating. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2016 at 4:59am
 Thumbs Up good to hear it.

Ahh, a Mimic Tang. Of course. I was fooled by the dwarf angelfish look, the Acanthurus mimicking the Centropyge species. It worked on me. Smile Star
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic