Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

advice on going sandless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice on going sandless
    Posted: February 21 2016 at 2:36pm
So I have a little 29 biocube. My SPS is finally growing like I want and I have some big colonies. However, with 2 MP 10s providing my current, and a damsel that loves to dig, my water is cloudy a lot. would it be recommended that I just put my rocks and corals in buckets for about an hour and suck all the sand out? does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? 

Less Technology. More Biology.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 4:16pm
I personally wouldn't do that. I went barebottom with my tank over a 4-5 week period. Every week I did a water change and sucked out sand in the process. I think doing it all at once could create a large cycle and create issues for your corals. That's my two cents.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 3:44am
I agree completely with Marcoss. LS is a significant part of the biofiltration of a reef aquarium. A mature LS bed can provide up to 70% of the total biofiltration. Good LS is home to a plethora of bugs and worms which are food for coral and small fish, like Damsels(part of the reason it's digging). Smile

Personally, I wouldn't go bare bottom just to reduce a sandstorm caused by a crazy digger Damsel. Instead, I'd consider several alternatives that came to mind, in no particular order:

1. Get a home for the Damsel. A large shell or two works nicely. Bury the shells halfway in the sand and enjoy the curiosity of these smart fish as this Damsel clears the sand out of it's new home. Smile

2. Get a friend for the Damsel. I once had three Blue Devil Damsels in a 75 gal. Two had their homes in the sand and one in a large shell. They were terribly entertaining as they went back and forth with each other. I have a Tank of the Month picture here somewhere by master photographer, Mike Savage . Ah, found. See below. (My wife thought it entertaining to show family and friends the antics of our Damsels. With my "utility stick" she would bury the front door of one of the Damsel's homes, then watch and laugh as it quickly cleared the sand/crushed coral out of its doorway every time.)

3. Remove the Damsel. See the Reefkeeping Tips for the topic about easy ways to remove a fish without having to mess with the LR.

4. Add some Crushed Coral substrate on top of the sand. This can sometimes change the fishes behavior

5. Remove some of the finer sand and replace it with Crushed Coral substrate. (if you decide to go this route, I have crushed coral for you and can give you pointers on removing the fine sand with strong vacuuming.

6. Provide a stand of Caulerpa for the Damsel to play/hide in (notice the Caulerpa in the pics below)

7. I'd definitely give it a variety of food to include some of these; Caulerpa, Nori, Romaine Lettuce, Emerald Entree and Spirulina Flake. Good food can significantly improve a fish's behavior.

Yes, Damsels appreciate algae in their diet and in their environment.

Hope this helps. Ying Yang Hopefully, others here will post additional alternatives. Ying Yang

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
Damsels are the perfect reef fish. Clownfish are in the Damsel family. What kind of Damsel is yours and may we see pics?

Damsel #1

Damsel #2 (or was it #1 protecting one of it's mates homes, I don't recall Confused)

Damsel #3 in one of my own pics from earlier that same year.

Lastly, in case you're interested, the full tank pic with "yours truly" peering in from outside.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 22 2016 at 4:04am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

P.S.
Damsels are the perfect reef fish.

Yes they are, so leave them on the reef and not in a 29 gal tank because it's not the perfect 29 gal tank fish (gobies and blennies are much better imo.)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 8:35pm
LOL I don't disagree. They sure do have their own type of personality which I find kinda fun. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic