Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ocellaris clown cauliflower spot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ocellaris clown cauliflower spot
    Posted: February 21 2016 at 3:38pm
One of my Little clowns as a raised white cauliflower like spot under one of its front fins it's had it a few days looks like it's gotten a bit bigger the fish seems to be acting normal and is eating. What do you think it is?
rastareefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastareefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 5:08pm
"Cauliflower Disease - Lymphocystis

Symptoms: Small warty clumps on the fins or body that resemble small cauliflowers.

Comments: This disease is caused by a virus and often looks worse than it is. It is rarely fatal and will usually clear up on its own if optimum water quality is maintained.

Treatment: There is no effective treatment for this disease. A short freshwater dip may help. Maintain optimum water quality and symptoms should improve with time. If a secondary bacterial infection should occur, move the animal to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics"
-saw this on Marine Aquariums South Africa forum hope it helps good luckThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastareefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 5:09pm
i have also read shortening your daytime light cycle could help a little as well.Smile
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 2:50am
My thoughts exactly. The funny lump usually falls off on it's own.

"If a secondary bacterial infection should occur, move the animal to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics."

I would not mess with a freshwater dip nor would I stress the fish by moving it to a hospital for antibiotic treatment. No fish likes going to the hospital and it's often more harmful than beneficial. Instead, I would do MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment once or twice weekly. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71349
This will help the fish to be healthy and comfortable in its own home, while waiting for the lump to fall off.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I would do MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment once or twice weekly.

I read what you said about the treatment. I have a Bottle of liquid Garlic, do you think I can use that for the treatment? I have some food that you should put it in water to soften it. Maybe I could use some of the Garlic vs water?   The stuff I have is "Dial Herbs Garlic Oil. Ingredients: Garlic, Cold Pressed Olive Oil"

Edited by kmtfishchannel - February 22 2016 at 10:43am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastareefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 5:04pm
Yeah Mark is right about the hospital tank and freshwater i have never tried either because i didnt wanna cause stress to an already stressed/sick fish if i'm not mistaken Mark has the capsules of garlic which are easy and have worked for him.....i use an organic garlic oil from the health food store it comes in a brown dropper the brand is Eclectic Institute it doesnt have the olive oil  but idk if that makes a difference
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 8:16pm

Yes, try it per the directions posted in MarksReef Garlic Oil Treatment. Watch the fish for signs of Ich or sickness and if any indications are seen, you're welcome to immediately contact me to arrange to get some of what I have. 808-345-1049

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic