Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBJ 28G LED Nano lighting help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EJ1All-Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJ1All-Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBJ 28G LED Nano lighting help.
    Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:22am
So the main led board is working but the moonlights are not when i plug them in. I can't imagine the led's are out. it looks like it has two different transformers one that is inside the hood and the other that plugs into the wall. Has anyone else had this issue? Where is a good place to go for parts?
28 G JBJ Nano LED
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:35am
If you have diode mode on your multimeter you can test the diodes to see if they are good. Since they are in series with each other, one going out can make it so they all quit.

It could be the transformer (more likely it's not a transformer, but an LED driver). A meter, even a cheap one from Harbor Freight) will tell you if you're getting voltage to the LEDs. Just hook the red lead to the + side of the first LED and the black lead to the - side of the last LED. If the voltage is correct then it's not the transformer/driver.

Three things are likely the cause:
1) driver is out
2) one or more LEDs are out
3) corroded or loose connections (corrosion is very common in a saltwater environment) or a bad solder joint (loose connection).

None of the above are very difficult or expensive to fix, if you can identify the parts.

Fatman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJ1All-Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:50am
yeah I work at an electrical supply house and have a fluke meter I'm just going to borrow for tonight. thnx for the help.
28 G JBJ Nano LED
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 11:13am
Is it the four blues in the corners that are out or the blues with one on each side toward the middle?

I had the problem with the four at the corners with mine. It was the white driver that is inside the hood that went out. Pretty easy to replace (that splash guard has a ton of screws!) after finding the part. I believe I found mine on E-bay or possibly direct from JBJ.

If it's the two blues that are out then it is the wall wart that probably went bad as those two lights have no driver. You can find a replacement power supply for that on e-bay or amazon very easily. Just match the output voltage and amperage and make sure it has the 2.1mm plug on the end of it.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 11:55am
If it's the wall wart let me know the volts and amps and I might have one in my electronics stash, if you're close to South Weber.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJ1All-Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 12:27pm
I'll take a picture of it when i get home. But as I remember it is the 4 corners the brown discs with one diode each. I can see the transformer on the inside what doesn't make any sense though is isn't the wall plug  "another" transformer meaning the moon lights have two of them?
28 G JBJ Nano LED
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 12:39pm
The two "moon" lights (two blues centered front to back and just outside the white lights) just use a small wall wart transformer like a cell phone uses and it has a plug in the hood that it goes into.

The "Sunrise/Sunset" lights (four blues, one at each corner of the splash guard) use a regular wall plug that connects to the white driver inside the hood to power them.

The "Daytime" lights (all the whites in the rest of the hood) connect to the large metal driver that is not in the hood and has the 3 wire waterproof connection to the cord coming from the hood.

So you actually have three plugs for the lights and two are for blues and one for whites. This lets you have a nice dim blue for night, a much brighter blue for sunrise/sunset and to go along with the whites.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic