Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank equipment priority

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank equipment priority
    Posted: February 25 2016 at 11:21am
Alright everyone i have a question on what each of you think would be a more important part when it comes to tank equipment. 

I have got layn's old tank up and on a fish less Dr. Tim's cycle so now i just need to get a few more pieces of equipment.

1. Light Controller
2. Skimmer
3. Dual GFO/Carbon Reactor
4. ATO

These are just the things I need and are in no specific order. First off, I will be getting my Kessil light controller first, i would like the tank to be on a standard time cycle instead of me trying to adjust the dials throughout the day. 

As for the ATO, that really isn't an issue for me. I have never had one in my 4 years of reefing, it would be more of a convenience to have one on a tank this size now.

In everyone's opinion what should come after the lights, the Skimmer or the Reactor?
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 11:26am

A lot of that depends on your budget.  You can do a basic light timer for cheap if you just want it to turn off and on or are you looking for a tank controller like an Apex?

Each of these can probably wait a bit but I would say

Skimmer

Dual Reactor

Controller (if more then just a 20 dollar timer)

ATO

I personally feel the Controller is one of my more valuable pieces of equipment but I could go without if I had to. 

180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 1:09pm
Budget is flexible. 

So, i already have a Reefkeeper 2 for my controller, it doesn't give me a fancy web GUI or anything like that but it controls everything i need currently. 

Kessil has a dedicated light controller that runs at 100 bucks. it takes care of all the lighting needs from ramp up to ramp down, i can also use it to run a second light if i decide to get one of their grow lights for cheato.

Over all it like like i am in the range of 94 gallons of water, so if the suggestion is skimmer that would be over sized for that.

Currently looking into this skimmer http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn143-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html Since it's rated for 90 under a heavy bio load. 

As far as a Reactor i will more than likely go with a BRS branded one. 

74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 1:22pm
Ooh, I'd go top off number one. Then a skimmer.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 1:30pm
I prefer to top off my tank daily, it falls into my tank routine, which is why it is last for me. I like to get off work, let the dog out then go to my tank and have a look at everything. After this long it has become a habit. 

on top of that i need to figure out a good pumping method, only place i have enough room to keep spare RO is in the basement.

That's 2 votes skimmer, would you suggest just running a bag of Chemi-pure or something in the mean time? 

In my smaller tanks i didn't have the room to run anything else so i just hung a bag of carbon and did water changes. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 2:25pm
If you have an ATO or don't want one, skimmer is next on my list.
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 2:36pm
What ATO unit's do you guys use, I think i am mostly paranoid about one failing. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Baccara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baccara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 2:57pm
tunze
210g Display in progress
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 3:02pm
Tunze as well. You can get a nano one if your tank is smaller. It'll fill at a slower rate and have a timer to go off sooner. They are adjustable insight the controller. I have one turned up way high on a 300g system and one turned to the middle on a 80g system. The higher the setting, the more water it puts into the tank for a longer period.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the info, i will have to do some more research as for now, i will just keep on filling it up. I only lose 1/2 gallon a day with the lights off, we will see how it goes once i start running it with the lights on. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 1:12pm
In my experience, lights, unless they are 400 W MH, are not the biggest reason for water evaporation. Water movement is what evaporates water. Relatively speaking, water hardly evaporates at all from a stagnant pond but start moving that water swiftly(good reef tank) and the excited water molecules fly away.
The most bullet-proof top-off system is two different types of gravity fed water, Drip and Glug Jug. It seems that most hobbyists would rather spend money, not me. Smile Shoot, I have set up dozens of tanks without skimmers, without reactors and without controllers. If you like the message contained in the acronym, KISS, then take a look at what I do.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 10:18am

I actually prefer a nano type ato even if you have a large system. 

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I like my ATO to slowly add water.  I have an adjustable 100gph pump turned way down so the water just trickles into the sump.  When the ATO is tripped, it will flow for about a minute.

Again, maybe it doesn't matter, but if you keep kalk in the ato and also don't heat that water, I think slowly adding it is a smart thing.

kevin.st View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 10:18am
I am also not convinced a skimmer is necessary.  I do run one, but I have thought about getting rid of it.
scfurse77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scfurse77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 10:47am
If you want a good nano ATO, Look at Smart ATO Micro. Works awesome for my tank. Also this keeps you from having to deal with float problems.
CADLIGHTS 42 Versa, 20 Gallon Sump, ATI Dimmable 8 Bulb T5 w/SbReef Lights Sbar, Bubble Muggus Skimmer and really mad wife :)
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:33am
Just ordered my Kessil light controller today. After hearing everyone agree on an ATO i decided to look into it a little further and i am sure i came up with a solution that will allow me to place my RO water under the tank in the basement.

As it stands now my upgrade path will now be ATO>Skimmer>Dual Reactor. 

Still undecided on which ATO to go with but i will be weighing the pros and cons of everyone's listed systems. 
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic