Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rbta destroyed in powerhead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rbta destroyed in powerhead
    Posted: March 02 2016 at 5:35pm
I guess my rbta had a death wish. I think he got tore up in the powerhead. I can find little traces of his tissue and a few tentacles on the sand and tank is slimy and cloudy now. Its a 55 gal with mostly softies. I did a 20 gal water change and fresh carbon. Am i screwed?
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 5:41pm
Why cant i find any bit of him still in the powerhead. Will the crabs and fish eat the remains
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 5:46pm
Clean out any parts you can find. Skim wet and change the carbon every couple of days and you should be good.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 6:49pm
Dont have a skimmer. Can only find one tentacle and a dime size piece of flesh. Will the crabe eat it? Just keep up on the carbon?
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 6:50pm
*crabs
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 9:09pm
Yes keep up on carbon and do another water change in a day or two. Keep an eye on the other things in the tank and if they look stressed do the water change sooner. I would change carbon every day for the next week.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2016 at 9:13pm
One of the original questions was...will the clean up crew crabs take care of the tissue..or will it rot in a place where I cant get to with out tearing my tank apart
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 4:44pm
Your tank will be fine and the remains will get chewed up by various animals like Hermits, bugs and worms and then it will decompose like any other dead matter. The good advice above, namely, a couple of 10-20% water changes and a couple of changes of AC (activated carbon) will help the tank do just fine.
If there is a refugium leaving the lights on 24/7 for a week will also help. If there is no Refugium, but there is Macroalgae in the display, again leaving the lights on 24/7 or for a longer period of time each day will help process the pollution/anemone waste very quickly.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 4:46pm
Thank you Mark
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic