Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

frogspawn losing color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: frogspawn losing color
    Posted: March 03 2016 at 8:30am
I have a branching frogspawn that has five heads on it.  The tips are purple and green and the tentacles are dark purple.  Over the last couple of days, the tentacles on one of the heads has become almost translucent and it doesn't seem to be as healthy as the other heads.  Is it normal to have different colors throughout the same colony?  The colony is placed in the open with moderate flow and full lighting, out of reach of other coral.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 9:24am
Move it to the sand bed and see if it colors back up . It may be too much light for it or it may be from not having enough time to acclimate to your lighting after being moved from another type or intensity of lighting.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:00am
i'll try that tonite.  Right now, I've turned off the daylight bulb and I'm only running one purple and one actininc T5.  Should I also try to minimize the flow across it?
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:19am
Flow is not an issue as long as it's not so much that it's causing the tissues to be cut on the skeleton. So if it's just a moderate flow then leave it. This sounds light related to me.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:33am
great, thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 5:28pm
Assuming of course that Alkalinity, Calcium and Nitrate levels are within range, right?
Other coral stress will indicate if Nitrate is too high, but testing Alk and Ca is essential, but you knew that, right?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 9:54am
yes, everything is within spec.  Alk is 8.9, calcium is 425ish and nitrates are near 0.
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 10:43am
I would take a turkey baster and squirt that head and see if any flatworms blow off of it, or take the coral out and dip it
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 5:31pm
Flatworms will not cause frogspawn color to fade. 

Flatworms can be seen. To see examples, do a Google search "flatworms on frogspawn"
Don't dip the coral unless flatworms are actually seen. Dipping is stressful. 

Also, removing large polyp stony coral from the water can cause polyp damage. There is a procedure for preventing damage. Are you aware of the procedure?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 04 2016 at 5:50pm
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 5:47pm
Mark, I've seen these flatworms the split tail brown ones do this to torches, hammers, and frogspawn. The Bayer dip is fairly safe I have performed this very procedure on several different colonies with great success. If he squirts the coral and nothing blows off, (because they will blow off if they are there) then he doesn't have to worry about dipping the coral. Simple procedure 👍
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 5:58pm
Wow. Was the coral totally covered with those flatworms? That means they were a huge infestation all over the tank, right? This flatworm?

jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 6:04pm
No, they were only on the euphyllia which I found interesting this was in a friend's aquarium, heads on all of his euphyllia had lost color as well as receded. The flatworms were quite camouflage on the tips of the coral. The Bayer took care of them. The coral have made a great recovery.😊
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 8:58am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard or seen of that, and I've seen plenty of flatworms.

Just when I was beginning to think I knew it all. Wink

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 9:58am
Haha I know right, it was bizarre to me that I found them only on the euphyllia.
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 3:11pm
Curious, did you hit the head with a good jet of water? Did anything come off? Or did you just need to move it in your tank? Thanks for sharing 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 8:02am
Update:  color has returned and the heads look amazing!  thanks everyone for your advice!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 8:16am
What was it you did that brought back the color?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 10:44am
lowered it to the bottom of the tank in an area that has a little less flow than other spots.  the one head that looked the worst has completely returned to color.
jbuck13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbuck13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 10:46am
Good deal!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:40am
 Thumbs Up
"Acclimation" means moving it up gradually to where you want it to be over the course of 2-4 weeks.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic