Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macro-Algae in a RSM 250?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyward Imaging View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Macro-Algae in a RSM 250?
    Posted: March 03 2016 at 8:08pm
I am just wondering if anyone has grown macro in the rear chamber of a RSM250? The way it is set up now is in the diagram below along with where I was thinking on growing the macro. A light I don't think will be an issue. my only question is will the top of the media basket be enough to grow it and will that amount of macro be enough for my RSM250?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 10:18pm
That's a teeny tiny amount of Macro. Why bother? If I was trying to avoid simply growing pretty Caulerpa in my main display, which offers so many benefits there, I'd put it and/or Chaeto in place of the entire media basket. In a reef aquarium, sponges are really quite illogical anyway.

IME, more emphasis on natural biology and less on mechanical and chemical filtration makes for a healthier reef environment. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 7:06am
My main concern with that mark is that the macro will grow too much and into the other chambers where the other equipment is.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 8:39am
I believe that is an unnecessary concern. I don't have time to continue right now but if you would like to know how I would do it, let me know and I'll come back later when I have the time.

What fish are in the tank, now and what are future plans? Can you post a pic?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 9:08am
I grew grape and feather caulerpa in the display of my 29g biocube for a couple years with no issues. I did need to trim it routinely as the caulerpa grows pretty fast but it never traveled into any of the chambers. I tried putting cheato in my wifes cube as it came with the refugium light for the center chamber but it just seemed to collect detritus and junk and didn't grow very well. If your worried about it traveling into your other chambers pick a macro with larger... leaves (I guess you would call them).... and keep them somewhat trimmed to keep from going asexual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyward Imaging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 11:03am
I was thinking of some larger for the display as the tangs also like to eat it so it would be controllable but I cant seem to find any of the larger "leaf" macro in utah. I seen some red macro I would like to get a starter of too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 11:38am

Mark usually has some caulerpa and some red gracillera for sale. For a good selection of macro id recommend "live-plants.com" or "reefs2go.com" I've ordered from both of them with no issues. (I wouldn't recommend buying other livestock from reefs2go however.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 11:59am
While I think you can easily grow macro in that chamber I don't think it is enough by itself to be fully effective. If it was the entire chamber and not just the top (and you could get light to cover the entire chamber) then it would have a bigger impact.

Growing it in the display would help if you can keep it controlled and not just turn into a jungle.

Just my $0.02 worth.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 12:26pm
My experience was with a biocube not the redsea, but the difficulty growing in the chamber was flow more than space.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 5:43pm
Good advice above.
If Tangs are already in the display, getting Macroalgae to survive there will be difficult unless you can find a large amount. That shouldn't be too difficult. There is plenty of good Macroalgae in the Refugiums of this group of hobbyists. No need to have it shipped in, just ask for it here on the forum.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic