Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Raised Tangs thoughts on latest findings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Raised Tangs thoughts on latest findings
    Posted: March 11 2016 at 8:30am
Im sure you have all seen this : 

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/03/10/would-you-pay-a-hundred-dollars-for-this-yellow-tang/

My questions are: 

Would you pay $150-$200 for a yellow tang (that is what they are saying they will sell for) 

Would you pay that much for a Tang that has HLLE? Apparently all of these have HLLE. 

I think this is so cool!!! Now its time for the Blue Hippo Tangs!!! 

Edited by Jeremyw - March 11 2016 at 8:52am
LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 9:14am
Good read thanks for sharing.
personally I'm not interested in purchasing diseased fish  however, this is definitely a step in the right direction to take pressure of of the wild resource.

I found it interesting that they pointed out the first batches of captive raised clowns and dottybacks had issues. So there is hope that these issues in the captive raised Tangs can be fixed as well.
Here we go again
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 9:17am
I agree great step in the right direction. 

There are 5 facilities working on yellow tangs and 2 working on Hippo and Purple along with the Yellow tangs. (At least that are public about it) 

The first Clowns were nasty ugly! I wish I could find my pictures I have of some of the first ever done. Realize that the first captive clowns werent that bad until they tried to do it for commercial (retail). Then when they tried to raise 1000s at a time that is when they had the issues. But solved them! Same with the Tangs when they tried to do 100s and 1000s that is when they had the issues. 

J
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:43am
I think people will pay $50 retail for a tank raised yellow... maybe.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 2:08pm
If anyone remembers the marine ornamentals that were raised out at Bonneville Seabase, you'll remember that they could not sell them to stores, let alone distributors. Wild caught Clownfish in those days wholesaled for around $1.50 each. This was around 1997! 

Something in the Seabase water made their fish look like the real thing, so it wasn't the look of the fish. After spending something like $100,000 Seabase dropped out of the fish raising business. 

It took many years but eventually, as the public became aware of the increasing value and improving strength of tank bred and raised ornamentals, some hobbyists started buying.

Wait for it.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

This was one of those first Seabase Clownfish. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 11 2016 at 2:16pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:46pm

<div clearfix"="" _42ef="" ="ufiblock=""><div r"="" ="_ohf="">
<div _6b"="" _6a="" ="uipopover=""><a role="" ="_p"=""></a>
<div ="_3-8m"=""><div ="_30o4"=""><span><span ="_5mdd"=""><span>This is my reply to the blog.
 I am disappointed in Jake Adams and Reef Builders for the disappointing and controversial Title of the article. This is ground breaking history that took years of research, time, effort, and money. While there is obviously room for improvement I don't think they deserve to be condemned for getting this far. You as a public figure, should have at least been neutral if not positive with your opinion and let the hobbyists speak for themselves. I feel its to early to jump to conclusions, and will reserve my opinion for later. Who knows, maybe once in the hobbyists tank, the condition will reverse, they will color up, and live a long happy life.</span>
<span>This is history in the making and that's the best title you can come up with?</span>
<span>We expect and and will hold you to a higher standard Jake Adams!                                                       </span></span></span>
<div ="_30o4"=""><span><span ="_5mdd"=""><span></span>      I don't disagree with pointing out imperfections or other problems. I disagree with the negative opinion and assumptions that have been made. Most readers, will have a negative opinion after reading. It could just as easily prove to be a short term problem, showing improvement in a few short weeks, forgotten in a few short months, and still living a healthy and happy life 30 years from now. With an Awesome story how it was one of the worlds first captive bred yellow tangs to ever be released!</span></span>
<div ="_30o4"=""><span><span ="_5mdd"=""><span>
</span></span></span>

Edited by sabeypets - March 12 2016 at 12:13am
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:51pm
Yes, if I can get my hands on a couple of them I will spend the cash.
Shaun
American Fork
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 2:53pm
Well here is a new article not from Jake Adams: 

Interesting how someone looking truly into what is going on can write up a decent article about the fish.... maybe its not HLLE after all.... 

LakeCityReefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeCityReefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the update.
Good read, and I'm interested to see where this goes a few years from now.
Here we go again
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 1:25pm

Yes, that was worth reading.
Shaun
American Fork
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic