Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying this equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hottsauce23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hottsauce23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying this equipment
    Posted: March 11 2016 at 11:57am

I was given this equipment when I bought my tank a few months back. I have no use for it and want to sell it. I know it is either a RO filter or maybe it is just part of an incomplete one. Hopefully someone has experience with these and can answer my question. Also what is something like this even worth. Thanks.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 12:04pm
It looks like a complete system using tubes like those for the membrane as opposed to the canisters we are used to using. Not sure where to get filters for it, but it should work (with new filters).

Fat
Hottsauce23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hottsauce23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 12:35pm
Thanks Fatman. Any idea how much this might be worth?
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 12:59pm
Well, a new system (refurbished) can be bought at SpectraPure for $130. It comes with a pressure meter, new 90 gallon per day 99% rejection rate membrane and all new filters and DI resin. I guess that this one will need new filters and resin, but there is probably life left in the membrane, but who knows for sure? If you can look at the membrane you can tell how many gallons per day it it rated for, 75 seems to be standard, but I've seen them down to 25 and 40 GPD. Less output = less value. Filter will be about $15 each and the DI resin more, so I'd price this accordingly. Say it's worth $100 (used) with new filters and resin, then deduct the cost of filters and resin from there.

Fat

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 1:44pm
That's a portable RO Unit. I've worked with tons of these. Except for the membrane housing(largest cylinder), all the rest are throw away(except for the fittings on each end). As it is right now, even if the membrane still has some life in it, it's worth about $35, about the cost of a new membrane. 

If you currently use an RO unit, just hook up that little one and check the TDS to see if the membrane is still good. Let it run for 30-60 minutes before checking TDS.

The tube at top left of the pic connects to the source water and pure water comes out the bottom cylinder, which is probably carbon, not DI Resin. Waste water comes out the finger size cylinder(restricter valve) coming up off the right side of the membrane housing(will need some hose leading to a drain.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
I buy, refurbish and re-sell RO Units for hobbyists here. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 11 2016 at 1:48pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic