Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dying Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dying Fish
    Posted: March 12 2016 at 6:29pm
My wife and I picked up a couple of Bangaii Cardinals today. One of them by the time we got home was just laying on the bottom of the bag gasping I am still trying to acclimate them any tips? I can't see anything g wrong besides just the stress of the move. I moved them to a bucket as I acclimate.

Edited by jdubb925 - March 12 2016 at 6:31pm
Justin W.

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 6:38pm
Unless you went all Darla from Finding Nemo on them or bought them in St George they shouldnt have died on way home. Normal procedures are all over internet. Float bag to temp acclimate, drip acclimate a little, then in they go.

Edited by Bryce - March 12 2016 at 6:39pm
65g Reef
A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 7:20pm
You bought then from us? They usually just stress a little and then are fine. Let me know if it doesn't make it.
"oh crap where am I going to put that!" bstuver
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 8:33pm
Bryce- I only left my wife alone with them for 2 minutes but she does get pretty excited about new fish. ;)

A Reef Oasis - Yes I bought them from you. It seems to be pulling through **fingers crossed** As a side note my wife said that I can never buy my fish anywhere other than at your shop. Great experience in the shop and after -THANKS-

Once they were acclimated I introduced them by hand. For the struggling fish I held him gently in front of the pump for about 45 seconds and he looked improved once I released him.
Justin W.

A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 10:01pm
Thank you for stopping!
"oh crap where am I going to put that!" bstuver
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 7:49am

jdubb925, do you use this Garlic Treatment for all new fish?

A question for Shaun, "What is your recommended acclimation procedure?"

When I get fish locally, I bring them home carefully, sometimes in a cooler I keep in my trunk. At home I pour the fish into a quart size container, exchange half the water with tank water and 5-10 minutes later pour them into my tank. If the water has copper, I don't pour, just lift the fish over to the tank by hand. I would not hold a fish with my fingers because that will damage it's protective slime coating. If concerned about compatibility/aggression I'll use an acclimation container in the tank for 1/2 hour to 24 hours. Never had any problem and I never do anything more for locally purchased fish, because I believe that fish coming from good water should go in to the new tank quickly rather than sit in a bag or bucket for any length of time.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic